Female African dwarf frog is mounting male?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

frogmom420

Reaction score
I have had a male ADF for 6 months or so, and decided to get him a friend. He's been living with a betta until now, who I have moved into another tank.

The other day the male mounted the new frog. It doesn't have the prominent glad under its arms, so I thought it was female.

BUT, today the "female" mounted the male!? I couldn't find anything online about this, are they both males, or is this natural?

There seems to be some pinkish color under the top frog's arms but I can't tell if it is just too young to be a gland not showing up yet?

Anyone able to tell?

ADFmount.jpg

ADF love company. Social. I've had them spawn..but never could raise the fry. I think a better brine shrimp hatchery would work.
Just watch out that all potential openings are kept closed...they will crawl out at night and if they land on carpeting that's the death of the frog as they dessicate fast.

I have had a male ADF for 6 months or so, and decided to get him a friend. He's been living with a betta until now, who I have moved into another tank.

The other day the male mounted the new frog. It doesn't have the prominent glad under its arms, so I thought it was female.

BUT, today the "female" mounted the male!? I couldn't find anything online about this, are they both males, or is this natural?

There seems to be some pinkish color under the top frog's arms but I can't tell if it is just too young to be a gland not showing up yet?

Anyone able to tell?

View attachment 99034
I'd say that top one is a male and just isn't showing the glands yet.

Hard to tell from the pic, females are larger and plumper, males tend to stay slimmer.
If room permits id add more, they are super social and do better in big groups.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back