Feeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Duval49

Reaction score
hello everybody, on friday I bought myself a baby clownknife, it's been three days ive been trying to feed him stuff like bloodworms, minnows, he deosnt seem like he wants to eat, hes just been hiding in the logs not much activity even at night. i'm not worried I think he may just be shy, but its getting kinda frustrating.

My friends have told me this could be normal cause of new enviroment but was just wondering if anybody else had any insight

Hi not heard of them before so looked up , just showed one eating small live fish so guessing you might have some in your tank , which might have gone missing sorry cant help any more than this or If you have no small fish as a baby then to get some neons for him to munch on :crazy: good luck with him
cathy

I currently have a 8 inch or so clown that Ive had since a tiddler and have kept a few before over last 20 years as I love these fish

its hit and miss really this one eat straight away initially on frozen brine, mysis,flake pellets bloodworm etc but Ive had one years ago that just wouldnt eat food and faded

make sure waters good and try the above and once its feeding you will see it progress quickly as these fish have huge appetites and grow very quickly

water is fine ph is around 8-8.5
0. nitrite
0. nitrate

i do have other fish in the tank that are aggressive all oscars but they dont seem to bother him i saw him this morning swimming around so i know he moves he just has to break his nocternal habits if he wants to eat

water is fine ph is around 8-8.5
0. nitrite
0. nitrate

i do have other fish in the tank that are aggressive all oscars but they dont seem to bother him i saw him this morning swimming around so i know he moves he just has to break his nocternal habits if he wants to eat
Either you're test kits not working or you have a problem.... Nitrates shouldnt be at 0 on a normal tank, one of my tanks has 24/7 water change and is normally around 10-15

Not sure if anyones pointed out but you are going to need a tank upgrade

ya im buying a 120 gallon tank before they get too big

and i dont see anything wrong with the kit it accually sais 0 is safe

ya im buying a 120 gallon tank before they get too big

and i dont see anything wrong with the kit it accually sais 0 is safe

How long has the tank been running? What's you're ammonia?

about three months with weekly water changes ammonia is at 0 i have a seperate tube test kit

about three months with weekly water changes ammonia is at 0 i have a seperate tube test kit

Hmmm. I guess its possible. Don't do a water change and test your water in a few days. If its still at 0 somethings definitely wrong with you're test kit. How big is your tank? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

its a 55 gallon tank with an external filter system for a 100 gallon thought i should mention that if it makes a difference

its a 55 gallon tank with an external filter system for a 100 gallon thought i should mention that if it makes a difference

What other fish do you have? That should house the knife for a bit just fine :) Love clown knifes! Wish I could have one, but stuck with a 55 gallon with no upgrade in sight. :/

0 nitrates although safe is very unusual and is normally a sign of a dodgy test kit or could point towards other issues. Is the tank heavily planted? That could contribute to a legit low nitrate reading although wouldn't expect 0 still.

You'll need to be thinking of something bigger than a 120g tank long term but it's ok as a stepping stone.

Back to the main isue of the fish not eating try earthworms, you may need to chop them to smaller pieces depending on the size of the fish and worm, not many fish will turn their nose up at earth worms.

0 nitrates although safe is very unusual and is normally a sign of a dodgy test kit or could point towards other issues. Is the tank heavily planted? That could contribute to a legit low nitrate reading although wouldn't expect 0 still.

You'll need to be thinking of something bigger than a 120g tank long term but it's ok as a stepping stone.

Back to the main isue of the fish not eating try earthworms, you may need to chop them to smaller pieces depending on the size of the fish and worm, not many fish will turn their nose up at earth worms.

Agreed on the tank size. You're looking at ATLEAST 300Gallons for the knife itself. More if you plan on other fish They can get up to 40", so they need fin room! :lol:

well reason i say 120g is my cousin had 2 clownknifes in a 100g tank for about 6 years and they seemed fine.

on another note just did a nitrate test you were right lora my nitrate is currently below 0.25ppm nitrite is at 0 used a new test kit

he also mentioned some clownknifes eat brine shrimp so i'm gonna try that.

in his experience he thinks its just stress due to a new enviroment

my tank is currently housing 3 juvenile oscars the largest one is most aggresive, bosses everyone around. a pleco and 4 silver dollars. but im giving them to a friend by this weekend so the dollars will be gone

got good news he finnaly has eaten something i fed all my oscars then turned off all the lights. tossed in a minnow and the clownknife got it now i know how he wants to eat

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back