Feeding While I'm Away

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kirsty2236

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be going on holiday a couple of times this year unfortunatly my fish are not coming with me.

One of the holidays involves my whole family and all my friends in my village (sounds strange but it's good fun). The problem is there is nobody to feed my fish.

I have top and bottom dwellers so I feed a mix of flake and sinking food. I have seen in my LFS the feeding pyramids that last a week or weekend.

Has anybody ever used these?

Are they any good?

Will they suit all the fish in my tank?

If not what's my alternative?

Thanks all

How long are you going to be going away for?

Sorry probably should have mentioned that bit it's just for 7 days. I am also going away for 10 days but I'm hoping to leave my parents with strict instructions for that one.

Personally I would just make sure they are well fed in the run up before you go away, and then just leave them. They should be fine for a week. Them feeding sticks / feeding pyramids are often detrimental to the water quality and cause more problems than they are worth. That is my opinion anyway.

yer your fish should be fine for a week if you have live plants some fish will peck at them and theres often stuff in the water they will eat

If your parents are going to feed the fish during the longer holiday, measure out each day's food - those pill dispensers with a section for each day are ideal - then hide the food tubs. Even with very detailed instructions, there is a danger they'll think you are not giving them enough and add more. But if they can't find the food......

Big feed before you go, and they will be fine ive left mine for a week also before!

That makes life a lot easier I wish I could do the same for my horses! I like the idea of the pill dispenser I might just do that :)

Thanks so much everyone x

That makes life a lot easier I wish I could do the same for my horses! I like the idea of the pill dispenser I might just do that :)

Thanks so much everyone x
Although some people don't like them, I've used the holiday blocks bought on Ebay when I went away for 2 weeks in all my tanks, tropical and goldfish. All tanks were fine on my return and even had some fry
Pill dispensers are great -used them when a neighbour who knows nothing about fish fed mine (6 fish tanks + axolotl) while I was away at Christmas.

Another thing u could try is cucumber. This normally lasts a few days in my tank. Put a spoon in a big piece so it will sink for the bottom feeders.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back