Feeding time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pete

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What do we all feed our fish?

There's an awful lot of choice out there in the lfs's and i'm not just talking about flake lol

Feeding flake is fine theres nothing wrong with it but do you realise just how much your fish could benefit from a more varied diet? add to that the fact that some fish will not even look at flake and you can see that feeding of your fish is a bit more complicated than just sprinkling a bit of flake in the tank before you go to bed lol

I feed a varied diet of flake, pellets, live and frozen foods to all of my fish and i'm also in the process of making my own fish food to freeze :)

I also culture my own live foods such as Whiteworm and Grindleworm

Frozen foods that i feed include mica shrimp, bloodworm and daphnia as well as frozen whole fish and prawns for the larger predators that i keep :grin:

Catfish high protien pellets and algae wafers also come high on my weekly shopping list at lfs lol

And for a special treat try Maxi tabs which stick to the front glass of your aquarium these are particularly good as you get to see your fish really close up as they feed and make it easier to do a headcount at the same time :D

So come on folks tell us what you feed yours lol

I feed ma fish King Brit flake, cos it comes in 6kg boxes and is cheep 8) Other than that In the summer I culture Daphnia and feed them SFBP frozen stuff (freebes) :thumbs:

You didnt do too well at english in school did ya m8 lol ;)

Is there an easy way to culture daphnia ? I know it is mosquito larvae so is it just a case of leaving out a stagnant bucket of water ?

Daphnia is a totally different thing to mosquito larvae or so ive been told but if you wanna culture mozzi larvae then yes stagnant water'll do nicely lol

:) Daphnia is a water flea. Easy to culture outside in an old fish tank, dustbin or anything else that will hold water. Place tank in a sunnyish position,(make sure it won't get too hot during the day), fill with dechlorinated water, a handful of sheep or rabbit sh*t (makes bacterium, infusoria, etc.) for food. Leave for a few days 'til the water goes a bit green, get some daphnia from your lfs and put into the tank. In a couple of weeks it will multiply very quickly. I just drag the net through and get loads to feed most of my fish. Feed the culture with yeast or liquifry. ;) Mac.

P.S. you will also get mozzie larvae and bloodworm in the culture after a while. 8) Mac.

Fish food eh. I use loads of different stuff live, frozen and manufactured. Live:- micro, grindal and white worm, daphnia and any other OK beasties in the culture(see above), small & chopped garden worms and deformed fry(don't shout at me!) Frozen :- bloodworm, daphnia, chopped prawns and some green veg. To condition fish I also use Tetra Prima and trout pellets (available from the local fish farms!).  :) Mac.

Oh yes i forgot that bit lol

I feed my Snakeheads and R.T.C on dead or dying fish from my other tanks (not very often lol) and the deformed fry from any broods that have any............and to anyone who thinks this is cruel i have one thing to say ................. "thats nature baby" lol :p

I was gonna feed baby hamsters to my piranah once 8)
My daghter didn't like the idea as they were her hamsters babies, and wifey thought the hair and stuff would make a mess :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the pet shop when I live in Inverness wouldn't sell me any hamsters, gerbils etc after someone found out I had piranahs.
I've always wondered why? ;)

Wife and I have considered opening a lfs. No competition here.
I joked around about having a huge piranah tank and I could feed them a bunny every saturday :laugh: I'm sure I could draw a crowd. Also sure someone wouldn't think it funny :blush:
But before anyone judges it, don't forget how many people buy snakes and feed them live critters all the time :blush:

Yeah m8 its like i always say..............

Thats nature baby lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back