Feeding Strategies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

offo

Reaction score
Hello I am pretty new to the site. I am currently doing an assignment on fish feeding strategies etc and water conditioning. I have no Idea where to post up my question

This is not so much on what they eat but. But what is the benefit of a fish feeding at the top and what the benefits of the other two strategies...

I really dont know what the benefits are for a fish feeding at the top opposed to the bottom and vice versa

 Top Feeder – Guppy
 Middle Feeder – Angel Fish
 Bottom Feeder – Corydoras – A species of your choice.
1. Identify the three feeding strategies of fish
a. State and describe their territory in the tank – what are the benefits of living in this territory?

Where would the best place to post this up any help and advice would be appreciated

I do know quite a lot tropical fish I have searched on the internet pretty widely about this thing but cant find anything any sources for this information would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section but no idea where else I should be posting.. Thanks for reading through and and any help would be greatly appreciated

Is this any help, or are you looking for info with particular reference to tanks? I suspect that many fish simply follow the pattern of feeding they exibit in the wild, so maybe you can find some ideas in this article?
http://www.myoan.net/fishingart/fund_fish_habit.html
Good luck
Carole x

I just use the 3 foods, flakes that floats, tetra granules for mid swimmers and wafers for bottom feeders. I have mix the first 2 in a bigger jar, that way i don't have to open 2 jar to feed, and add some wafers and that's it.

On weekend tera BabyShrimp.

Fish feed in the area of the water column that they do because of evolution and their habitat in the wild. All fish have evolved and developed to exploit the food sources available in their habitat. Most bottom feeders such as cories and catfish have developed down turned mouths to make it easy for them to feed on the bottom whilst their eyes are facing upwards to look our for predators. Their food sources are found in the fine silt and gravel on the bottom of the rivers / lakes that they inhabit in the wild. They "smell" for it with their barbles then sift through it with their mouths. Top dwellers such as hatchet fish generally have more upturned mouths, better eye sight and move more quickly to enable them to grab food at the surface before it sinks. This gives them an advantage over mid dwellers who may come up there to feed Mid dwellers, which covers the vast majority of fish species, have evolved to become a more generic mix of the two anatomical extremes mentioned above. They tend to feed at nearly all levels of the water and have not specifically evolved to feed anywhere in particular. This means they are less efficient at feeding just at the top or bottom so have to roam at all levels in order to feed. Hope that helps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back