Feeding stickleback

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sean_Buckley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What should I feed my stickleback? They are wild-caught, and they don't seem to be interested in flake. Should I try frozen? The creek chub (also wild-caught) are doing fine, eating flake or whatever they can, but the stickleback are getting skinny.
Sean

Live bloodworms or daphnia are best and then move them onto frozens.

I don't have any live bloodworms, and these stickleback are too big to take daphnia (I think, anyway, they are about 5-6"). I have, however, frozen of each, so I'll try them on those.
Sean

fish cant be too big to take food , do you mean too small and have you got wild caught chub in a pond as they are stream and river fish and prefer a current

I agree with inchworm, wild caught fish have never seen a fish flake in their lives and so don't know what they are and many will only accept live foods and then frozen, go down to your lfs and see if they have any live foods and if not, see if they have frozen one and see if the stocklebacks will take them.
If they don't eat frozen foods they'll just starve if you can't find some live ones so you'll have to take them back to he river/lake/stream where you got them from before they starve to death.

well i live in the UK and when i go fishing i buy maggots for fishing and the fish i catch like tench, carp, dace, roach, rudd even chub they all eat maggots so if you have a course fishing store round near you buy some maggots they are cheap, its 1pound for half a pint but you could get a quarter of a pint for about 50p or what ever that is in your money.

hope they eat and what size are the chub you got.
i catch them at 4lbs

hey guppy man its good to see im not the only fisherman on here. LOL some people get annoyed that i fish

whats the biggest fish you have ever caught

I'm gonna take them back to the stream, the stickleback anyway. The chub will eat anything, and by the way guppy_man, these aren't big enough to way (largest is only 3"), lol. And you 2 aren't the only ones who fish, I fish too, and lots. I live in Manitoba, so almost anywhere where theres water, theres fish. :D
Sean

hi ive only bin fishing for about 2 years and places round here hardly got any big fish in but i went down my local canal last night about 8pm using a maggot feeder with sweetcorn on the hook and hooked on to a 7lb tench thats my biggest fish ever but before that my best was 6lb 5oz i know they arent that big but the onlt place round here with big carp in it costs 5pounds to fish there.

im going fishing this friday down my local canal to see if i can get maybe 4 or 5 of these big carp or tench.

whats your biggest fish?

great catch the record tench in the UK is about 15 lbs i think so great catch, my biggest fish would probably be the pike i caught last winter and was abotu 27 lbs!! i also caught an 18 lb carp at a gravel pit

lots of us fish keepers also fish :nod:

as for stickle backs ive got 3 in my small pond and i dont feed them anything ,the pond is established enough for them to find there own food

guppy try lunchion meat for tench they love it

i mostly go sea fishing but my personal best for freshwater is a 27.5lb mirror

Most reactions

trending

Back