Feeding pleco and catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steph.j

Reaction score
I have a bristlenose pleco and 6 small Cory catfish . Was just wondering what you feed them and how often .
I currently only feed them 1 algae wafer every day, not sure if that’s enough or too much .

The cories need a meat (fish) based food as they are omnivores not vegetarians. Sinking pellets containing fish or shrimps are better for them than algae wafers.

How big are the algae wafers and how old/large is the bristlenose?

The cories need a meat (fish) based food as they are omnivores not vegetarians. Sinking pellets containing fish or shrimps are better for them than algae wafers.

How big are the algae wafers and how old/large is the bristlenose?
I have the king British algae wafers . I also have tropical sinking pellets, are they good to use ?
you recommend any ?
Bristlenose I’ve only had about a month so still only small .
Thanks

The sinking pellets would be good for the cories, though if you have any other fish they may well eat them before they reach the tank floor. In this case, you could try soaking the pellets in a bit of tank water then use a long pipette or turkey baster to put them near the cories.

I have never kept bristlenoses, so I don't know how much algae wafer is too much, I'm afraid. With a young fish, I'd be tempted to out half a wafer in at night then see if there's any left next day.

The sinking pellets would be good for the cories, though if you have any other fish they may well eat them before they reach the tank floor. In this case, you could try soaking the pellets in a bit of tank water then use a long pipette or turkey baster to put them near the cories.

I have never kept bristlenoses, so I don't know how much algae wafer is too much, I'm afraid. With a young fish, I'd be tempted to out half a wafer in at night then see if there's any left next day.
Ok great . Thanks for your help

Both fish need a variety of foods, algae wafers are limited in nutrition...try feeding blanched veggies as well as the meaty sinking pellets, such as broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, courgettes, green beans, etc...

Both fish need a variety of foods, algae wafers are limited in nutrition...try feeding blanched veggies as well as the meaty sinking pellets, such as broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, courgettes, green beans, etc...
Uh wow didn’t know they could eat veggies . Thanks for that

I have a bristlenose pleco and 6 small Cory catfish . Was just wondering what you feed them and how often .
I currently only feed them 1 algae wafer every day, not sure if that’s enough or too much .
Plecos need to chew on wood to complete their digestion so I have at least one source of wood in the tank or tanks that hold plecos. Also Repashy has a product called "Morning Wood" that is specifically formulated for plecostomus.

Bristlenose do not "need" wood in their diet, some other Plecos do. They are herbivores so they need to eat almost constantly. Cut a piece of Zucchini, rubber band it to a rock and drop it in. If it is gone in 24 hours, drop a bigger piece the next day. You will soon get an idea of how much they will eat in a day.

Bristlenose do not "need" wood in their diet, some other Plecos do. They are herbivores so they need to eat almost constantly. Cut a piece of Zucchini, rubber band it to a rock and drop it in. If it is gone in 24 hours, drop a bigger piece the next day. You will soon get an idea of how much they will eat in a day.
They need wood fibers to properly digest food.

——

I feed my Corydoras Omega One Shrimp Pellets and Fluval Bug Bites.

I feed my BNP Fluval Veggie Sticks, he loves them.

(The Corys/BNP each each other’s food sometimes, but they usually stick to their own)

They need wood fibers to properly digest food.

——

I feed my Corydoras Omega One Shrimp Pellets and Fluval Bug Bites.

I feed my BNP Fluval Veggie Sticks, he loves them.

(The Corys/BNP each each other’s food sometimes, but they usually stick to their own)
PheonixkingZ - Thank You! I have been Breeding and raising a lot of Bristle nose. I got advise a long time ago
(maybe 50 years ago) about their digestion and ever since I started doing this I have had great success.

PheonixkingZ - Thank You! I have been Breeding and raising a lot of Bristle nose. I got advise a long time ago
(maybe 50 years ago) about their digestion and ever since I started doing this I have had great success.
That’s awesome! I would love to breed BNP’s sometime. :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back