Feeding My Betta. :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So, I am really used to how much to feed my guppies, platies and neons.

But... this is my very first betta (who is settling nicely into his private 10gallon tank and has been busy all afternoon exploring).  Could you please help me out with the quantity I should be feeding him.  So far, I've only fed him 1 blood worm today (he seemed to have already been given breakfast in the shop... to be honest... couldn't make out what exactly it was they fed him but he hadn't eaten it.... looked like white sludge).

Off topic... my baby platy who had previously been in this tank have moved into the community tank and have livened up the life of the old farts that were living in there!  HAHA... I haven't seen my guppies moving around so much in a long time.

Just feed as much as he eats in about 40 ish seconds, it's not an exact science  
laugh.png

With bettas it is not that simple as letting them eat all they can in a certain time because bettas will overeat extremely easily.  A good quality pellet food is best as a staple diet with some frozen/live treats a couple of days a week.  Since pellets come in several different sizes, it depends on the size of the pellet as to how much to feed.  A betta's stomach is the size of its eye so that should give you an idea as to how much it should eat.  Watching its stomach to see it slightly round out is another way to monitor eating.  Small sized pellets like NLS (New Life Spectrum) allow for around 5 or so once or twice a day to be fed at one sitting and bigger pellets like Wardley need to be restricted to maybe 2 or so once or twice a day.

Thanks!  I will do that.  I haven't got the pellets straight away so I will use the blood worms, daphnia and NLS flakes.  Will have the appropriate pellets come Monday!

Or tomorrow maybe.... a reason to take a trip in our new to us car!  LOL

Most reactions

Back