Feeding Fry In Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ktclayt

Reaction score
Hi

This questions probably been asked, but I can't find it any where. I have pregenant Guppies (and I think Mollies). I haven't set up a breeding tank, and don't have a breeding basket. I was just going to let them have the babies in the normal tank.

Just a bit worried though, on how the fry will eat the crushed flakes, because my other fish always rush for the feed, also don't want the fry having to come out of the hiding spots to get eaten.

Any ideas?????? :unsure:

What size is your tank and what's in it? It's easier if we know the answer to these two questions. But in general I would go with some floating plants for hiding places. I have found that after a day or so the fry are usually ok, IF there's only their parents in there. In terms of food, just crush the flakes very finely and the fry will get plenty of food.

Thanks for the reply,

I've got lots of different fish in my tank 150 litres, mollies, neon tetra, gourami, silver shark etc

I'm thinking it might be best to try and set up a small breeding tank.

What do you think?

Hi it should be fine ,I, had my guppy in a breeding tak but she was getting stressed so i took her out . that night she had the babies the babies are fine none of them survived but it also depends on your fish .

Your fry can survive off of algae that grows below for a while. If they are hungry enough, they will go to the top for the food. Plus there will be bits of food that fall to the floor during feeding time. Some fry are bound to be eaten in the process, but a fair amount should make it. You can feed in one spot first to get all the big, fast fish there first. Then while they're eating, feed over to the side for the fry to get some.

If you want all or most of the fry to live, I would go with a 5-10 gallon breeding tank. The Gouramis and Shark will definitely eat a lot of them.

I bought a net breeder and put them in there, it was about $7. Also there is food that you can buy for frys.

I had one fry survive about 3 weeks before we discovered it in the tank.

Do you have plants in your tank? Thats how we figured he survived, hiding in them.

Most reactions

Back