Feeding Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bubblewrap

Reaction score
hi guys, how often do fish actually need feeding? my local fish shop said every other day but other instructions say twice a day. please help me.

Depends on the fish and the type of food. I feed my cichlids once a day on good quality food, sometimes I feed twice a day with a different food, I even skip a day here and there.

My bettas get fed twice a day with pellet food, sometimes once a day with frozen food, and then I skip a day every now and then (usually after the frozen food).

Then there's the younger fish, who all get fed 2-3 times a day with high quality food for maximum growth and health. I never skip days for the younger fish.

Agree. We (especially new aquarists) have a tendency to feed too much, both quantity and frequency. Unlike pets like a dog that can be trained to go to its dish and eat when hungry, fish will eat if food is available, because that is their instinct; in the wild, food may be scarce, and it is crucial to eat when you have it.

Except for fry which need more frequent feedings as Demeter noted, I only feed once a day, and I miss one or sometimes two days each week. And I feed sparingly. Overfeeding can be very unhealthy for fish, just as for us. Healthy mature fish can easily go for a week or longer without food, though I wold not do this normally, but it does show that we don't need to be overfeeding.

Byron.

ok, thanks for your help. i have some danios and they want food everytime they see me but i just have to resist. i normally feed them every other day and sometimes skip a day out. is that the right thing i should be doing?

ok, thanks for your help. i have some danios and they want food everytime they see me but i just have to resist. i normally feed them every other day and sometimes skip a day out. is that the right thing i should be doing?

Danios, like barbs, are quite active fish, so I would feed them daily, but sparingly, and missing a day or two days won't hurt. Water change day is a good one to miss, as fish should never be fed prior to disruptions in the tank.

Most reactions

Back