• Feed like normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait till after treatment is complete

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brad G

Reaction score
Hello I noticed a few of my fish have Ick/Ich.
I just started the treatment tonight and was wondering if I should feed my fish. I usually feed them in the morning but I took all my invertebrates and carbon filter out. I was wondering should I still feed them like normal or wait the 4 days till after treatment is complete. I could not find any answers online, so I’m turning to y’all. Thanks in advance!

I'm not an expert but based on what I have read, definitely less is more in this case. I would feed no more often than every other day, and suspect that it wouldn't be the worst to wait all 4 days even. Fish can pretty easily go a week without food. I have also learned that turning the temperature up when dealing with ich can be helpful. In fact, I think it was today that I saw Colin_T post some tips about ich, let me see if I can find that.

If they are eating, then feed them like normal. If you are worried, then feed them once a day. If the fish stop eating during treatment, you either overdosed with chemicals or the fish are really heavily infected with the white spot parasite.

What did you use to treat the fish?

Did you put the shrimp in a tank with other fish?
If yes, you might get white spot in that tank too.
If the shrimp were put in their own tank, they will need to remain isolated for a month before they can go into a tank containing fish.

The safest treatment for white spot in tropical fish is heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. The heat usually kills off the parasites without the need for chemical medications.

If you are using heat or chemicals to treat fish for any disease, increase the aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water. Chemicals and high temperatures reduce the amount of oxygen in the water and increasing the aeration helps the fish.

If they are eating, then feed them like normal. If you are worried, then feed them once a day. If the fish stop eating during treatment, you either overdosed with chemicals or the fish are really heavily infected with the white spot parasite.

What did you use to treat the fish?

Did you put the shrimp in a tank with other fish?
If yes, you might get white spot in that tank too.
If the shrimp were put in their own tank, they will need to remain isolated for a month before they can go into a tank containing fish.

The safest treatment for white spot in tropical fish is heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. The heat usually kills off the parasites without the need for chemical medications.

If you are using heat or chemicals to treat fish for any disease, increase the aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water. Chemicals and high temperatures reduce the amount of oxygen in the water and increasing the aeration helps the fish.

So I have a preset heater and I put the shrimp in with my guppies...hopefully they are strong enough not to get ick. The guppies are super active and are show zero signs of being sick. I used API super ick cure. My Platy is getting worse but my mollies are acting completely normal just have a few spots. Is there another medication you would recommend instead. I read people really ick-x. I really don’t care I just want them to get better. I can buy another heater that I can turn up if you think that would be best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back