Feeding Cichlids in a Community Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a community tank with 8 barbs, and 1 firemouth cichlid that i just got. my question is, will he be ok eating the regular flake food i have for the other fish? (TetraMin Tropical Flakes) i know they have special cichlid food/pellets and stuff like that. If i did give him the special cichlid food, how do i get the others to not eat it before it gets to him (he likes to eat a little below mid level in the tank, whereas the barbs go right to the top).

anyway, what should i do to make sure the firemouth is eating the best he can?

The cichlids in my house eat flake. They eat color enhancing flake, same as the other fish. Every other night, they do get frozen food, but they also eat the flake.

I have heard that the specialty cichlid foods, do have extra nutrients that the cichlids need.

As for getting it to him before the other fish eat it, this is what I would do:
Put the flake in first for the other fish, once they are distracted by the food, put the food in for the cichlid. He'll have a better chance of getting it.

Jen :)

I was told that Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets are great for cichlids. If you feed the other fish first, then wait a little while and feed the firemouth, you might be able to feed him the pellets.

Valerie

Just get a sinking cichlid pellet. Or, since a firemouths have a little larger mouth, get food that is a bit to big for your other fish. You could also put the flake on one end of the tank, and the cichlid food on the other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back