Feeding brine shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
Got some brine shrimp from petsmart. They are the San Fransisco ones, if that means anything. Anyways, do I just break the square up and toss a piece in the tank? How much would you recommend for 10 black skirt tetras, and do I have to feed my corydoras with pellets, or will they get the leftovers?

That's how I do it. Break it into pieces and it spreads out nicely in the tank.

Not sure about the amount. Maybe try half a cube and see how quickly they eat it. A lot of my fish that are dainty eaters with flakes go wild with live and most frozen foods.

That's how I do it. Break it into pieces and it spreads out nicely in the tank.

Not sure about the amount. Maybe try half a cube and see how quickly they eat it. A lot of my fish that are dainty eaters with flakes go wild with live and most frozen foods.
Sounds good! Thanks :).

Break some off and swoosh it in the water to be sure it soaks up water first. Otherwise, it can bloat them. You got the best brand. I don’t normally feed freeze dried foods but that is one that I will. It’s highly recommended. Not too often though.

Edit: oops, if they come in cubes you must have frozen. Sorry.

Last edited:
Are they frozen or dried? If they are frozen you need to thaw them before feeding the fish, I do this in a small tub of tank water.

I find that frozen food actually contain a lot more than you'd think from the size of the cube. I usually cut mine in half and use just one half at a time (they can be cut carefully with a sharp knife and downward pressure)

I find that frozen food actually contain a lot more than you'd think from the size of the cube. I usually cut mine in half and use just one half at a time (they can be cut carefully with a sharp knife and downward pressure)
That's useful, I didn't think about soaking them or cutting them. Do the shrimp get down to the bottom?

When you thaw them they'll separate into individual brine shrimp and will float in the tank, sinking only slowly. In my tank, they rarely have chance to reach the bottom of the tank.

When you thaw them they'll separate into individual brine shrimp and will float in the tank, sinking only slowly. In my tank, they rarely have chance to reach the bottom of the tank.
I should probably feed the corydoras their own thing then. Thanks so much :).

You could use a pipette of turkey baster to put some of them right next to the cories, then pour the rest into the water for the other fish.

Brine shrimp are.great for filter feeders, such as bamboo shrimp. Anything else, well, unless you have small.fish, the stuff just poofs into the water and clogs your filter. Mysis shrimp are larger. They feed better, and are easier for the fish to find. I only use brine shrimp when there are little ones in the tank or when I had a bunch of bamboo shrimp.

If you do want to.use it, just pop the cube into the water. It will dissolve rapidly. You'll see what I am saying. The fish will go nuts for a minute, but most will be wasted, no matter what you do.

Use live baby brine shrimp. Easy to hatch and feed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back