Feeding Bottom Feeders

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lisbeth Oden

Reaction score
Hello fellow fish lovers!

I’m hoping I finally have my tank woes under control… knocks wood a few times for good measure…

My question is this. What is the best way to feed Cory’s? The Aqueon bottom feeder tablets that I have float at the top of the tank for the longest time and then invariably get stuck in the filter intake.

Has anyone devised a feeder that these can go win and the fish can be from that?

I do put a piece of cucumber in from time to time and skewer it on a decoration in the tank and that seems to work well. But these tablets are just not working and my catfish are hungry.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, and good day!! :)

This is a direct quote from this website......

https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-aquarium-fish/cory-catfish/

Cory Catfish Diet And Feeding
“Cory Catfish diet includes basic food types including fish flakes, pellets and bottom feeder tablets. Corys will spend hours on end making their way across the tank bottom poking around for food. They will even move the surface gravel around a bit with their mouths, digging for more. While their feeding ability makes Corydoras Catfish really good tank cleaners, they should not be considered a substitute for proper tank care.”

“While Corydoras Catfish are adept at scavenging for otherwise uneaten food, the Cory Catfish diet cannot be mere left-overs. Left-overs may be in short supply so hobbyists need to make sure Cory Cats are getting their nutritional requirements met with supplements intended specifically for them. That said, avoid the temptation to overfeed. Only feed Cory Cats an amount of food that can be eaten in about 5 minutes.”

Do you feed them algae wafers? :)

https://www.chewy.com/tetra-pro-ple...MI7Yr-w7ju4wIVh-NkCh3Ivg8LEAQYBCABEgLezfD_BwE

(Some algae wafers for sale if you don’t....^ ;))

Just use frozen food, it will sink and the fish will be fine on it.

Try pleco wafers. They sink immediately. Good luck!

I did mention that in post #2. ;)

a4a2e54cf43014859420429f25e23b36.jpg

I bought these and they floated on the top of the tank and the guppies enjoyed it. When I woke up this morning the remaining pieces were attached to the filter intake [emoji2372]

Most algae pellets will sink a lot quicker if you dunk them under the water.
Only feed Cory Cats an amount of food that can be eaten in about 5 minutes.”
I'm afraid that does not apply to Corys. They are slow feeders and will keep at it for a couple of hours. I use micro pellets such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004PBHZI0/?tag=. They will float for a short while so the guppies can enjoy it and then sink - it also sinks really fast if you put a pinch under the water rather than on to it. Feed enough so that there is still some left for the corys when the guppies have had enough.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Corys will spend hours on end making their way across the tank bottom poking around for food.
They can And will spend hours at a time poking around the bottom of the tank for food. And The Tetra pleco wafers I mentioned above, sink instantly. :)

And I have a question, if they are micro pellets, then how can there be any left after the Guppies “have enough?” (After all, guppies are pigs!!) :nod:

Thanks All! I appreciate the feedback. For clarity at the moment I do not have any plecos. These were the tablets that my local fish store recommended for Coreys (see photo above). But maybe they basically the same food and I’m just being obtuse. Thanks for your patience and feedback.

Some of the info in this thread has been confusing if not inaccurate (like the link).

First, cories must be fed prepared foods if they are to have proper nutrition. Most of us cannot provide adequate live foods, and frozen foods are not usually that good nutritionally; worms for example should only be fed once a week, as a treat. There are some very good, healthy sinking foods available.

Cories are primarily carnivorous so one of the first ideal foods is a good quality shrimp pellet. [I'll deal with brands momentarily.] Other "meaty" sinking foods are also essential. They should be fed a veggie-based food containing algae and/or kelp, as this improves their intestines; not as a staple (every day) but once or twice a week as an alternative. They might pick at cucumber and similar veggies but I doubt it, and in any event these are not nutritional for fish.

Now to brands. Some manufacturers load their prepared foods with cereals, fillers, fish meal, etc. None of this is good for fish. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are brands that use whole fish not fish meal or cereal meal. And their veggie foods contain kelp and algae. The Omega One shrimp pellets and Veggie Rounds both sink immediately and are highly nutritious. There are undoubtedly other good quality brands (those mentioned earlier in this thread are not) and members can mention them; I use the two I've indicated because they are locally available and high quality.

Cories take time to feed from quality sinking foods. The Veggie rounds for example might be in my tank for three hours before they are gone. I feed only three of these, and I have 46 cories feeding from them, and it takes them three hours to finish these. The shrimp pellets break apart a bit faster, and are usually gone in an hour; I feed roughly six or seven of these Omega One shrimp pellets for 46 cories.

I also use Nutrafin's Tablets because they contain earthworm, but they also have fillers so this is only fed once a week. Ian Fuller has developed a sinking tablet very similar if you can find those.

Some of the info in this thread has been confusing if not inaccurate (like the link).

First, cories must be fed prepared foods if they are to have proper nutrition. Most of us cannot provide adequate live foods, and frozen foods are not usually that good nutritionally; worms for example should only be fed once a week, as a treat. There are some very good, healthy sinking foods available.

Cories are primarily carnivorous so one of the first ideal foods is a good quality shrimp pellet. [I'll deal with brands momentarily.] Other "meaty" sinking foods are also essential. They should be fed a veggie-based food containing algae and/or kelp, as this improves their intestines; not as a staple (every day) but once or twice a week as an alternative. They might pick at cucumber and similar veggies but I doubt it, and in any event these are not nutritional for fish.

Now to brands. Some manufacturers load their prepared foods with cereals, fillers, fish meal, etc. None of this is good for fish. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are brands that use whole fish not fish meal or cereal meal. And their veggie foods contain kelp and algae. The Omega One shrimp pellets and Veggie Rounds both sink immediately and are highly nutritious. There are undoubtedly other good quality brands (those mentioned earlier in this thread are not) and members can mention them; I use the two I've indicated because they are locally available and high quality.

Cories take time to feed from quality sinking foods. The Veggie rounds for example might be in my tank for three hours before they are gone. I feed only three of these, and I have 46 cories feeding from them, and it takes them three hours to finish these. The shrimp pellets break apart a bit faster, and are usually gone in an hour; I feed roughly six or seven of these Omega One shrimp pellets for 46 cories.

I also use Nutrafin's Tablets because they contain earthworm, but they also have fillers so this is only fed once a week. Ian Fuller has developed a sinking tablet very similar if you can find those.
Good info for all of us. Thanks, Byron. I agree that New Life Spectrum and Omega One are excellent brand choices. I use both brands.

Northfin is another brand with few fillers and whole fish. They make several types of pellet and flake, and though most are aimed at large cichlids there are some aimed at other fish.

I too feed my Corycatfish shrimp pellets and they seem happy and healthy.
Now, if I could just get them to stop breeding so much.
I have 3 generations in my tank that I did nothing to facilitate. Right now I have around 20 in my 55 gal. 1565897945946947051075910161009.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back