Feeding a fish with a chronical swim bladder

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

V10l3t

Reaction score
Hi there, one of my oranda lionhead suffer of a swim bladder desease. I won't give up with her because luckely she merely floats on the top of the tank and after digestion time she swim normally
It is the first time i deal with a problem like this, im totally newbie so i need help
My personal solution is to dump all the industrial food ( she doesn't digest soaking pellet neither gel food ) and feed her with boiled vegetables such as zucchini, broccoli and so on
Not shelled peas cause they are problematic too
To "balance" this diet with some protein i defrost once a week some dafnia but she doesn't digest it too
I read somewhere goldies should eat only vegetables in winter, and protein only in warm season, is that true?
To what i see she is young, one year old for 7cm body. Can you help me with her?

Hi! I have never heard that goldies should not eat protein in the summer. It depends more on temperature than seasons. This usually only applies to pond goldfish as they are exposed to colder temperatures in the winter. Below 50F they should be fed modestly and lower protein food. Below 30F. You don’t feed at all. However, in an aquarium with set temperatures, you can continue the same diet all year long. I would suggest trying a sinking pellet that fish can eat off the bottom of tank. They swallow less air that way. Goldfish are omnivores so they need both plant matter and meat type protein. Don’t feed vegetables only. I feed New Life Spectrum Goldfish Sinking Pellets and really like them. You have to order them online through EBay or Amazon. Please keep us posted on how your fish is doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!
For months i fed him with sinking pellet, i tested hikari, northfin, then repashy gel food.
I'll give a try to the product you suggest, hope it works and be the solution to my goldy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back