Feeder fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jmccahill23

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I could buy large frozen or live feeder fish as I am currently feeding my 14 inch wolf fish lance fish and there are to small and I'm having to give him quite a few to keep him happy. It doesnt have to be specific fish food thing if any one had any suggestions on food I could get at the supermarket but I would prefer to give him live fish.

Fishing store in the bait freezer.
Supermarket in the freezer or seafood section.

You can use fish, prawn, squid or most other marine based meats.

Fish shoud not be fed live foods all the time because they will usually refuse dead food. Then if you cant get live food, the fish starve.

You are better off feeding frozen (but defrosted) foods and dry pellet foods as the staple diet, and if you want to give it live food, make it a treat once every few weeks.

It is debatable whether or not the use of feeder fish is legal in the UK. While the 2006 Animal Welfare Act does not ban it, it does make it illegal if it causes unnecessary suffering to the feeder fish.

From this article https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-news/live-feeding-a-crime-feedback-from-defra
Various caveats and clauses still suggest that in the act of providing a live fish as food, you are breaking a law

Unless your wolf fish will die if not given live fish, I would follow Colin_T's advice.

Idk maybe get a little pond for gambusia or minnows?

Most reactions

trending

Back