Feed Me! - Unique regional food

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oblio

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What is a unique regional food from your location or hometown (city or region)? What would you serve to or treat a visiting friend?

My hometown is St. Louis MO, which has the following that come to mind:

St. Louis Style Pizza - Unlike other styles of pizza (e.g. NY or Chicago) you really can't find this outside St. Louis area.
Gooey Butter Cake

Everybody's heard of it but don't try them. Montana and Wyoming are famous for Rocky Mountain Oysters. Just so you know , they aren't sea food.
I first saw these in the offal section at Dekalb Farmers Market in Atlanta GA area. I'm not sure I would try them. We always thought that they were fictitious but I have seen them with my own eyes,

I first saw these in the offal section at Dekalb Farmers Market in Atlanta GA area. I'm not sure I would try them. We always thought that they were fictitious but I have seen them with my own eyes,
The offal section is where they belong along with beef tongue. But in fairness you can combine Beef tongue , bananas and ice cream to make a Lickety Split.

The offal section is where they belong along with beef tongue. But in fairness you can combine Beef tongue , bananas and ice cream to make a Lickety Split.
There is a traditional Mexican place in downtown Macon that serves beef tongue in many of the dishes, I do want to try that.

While VERY popular where I'm from in North East Ohio you just don't see beer battered deep fried mushrooms in Wyoming. Fortunately I have a decent deep fryer so can make my own. ;) Add some blue cheese dipping sauce and they are heaven.

Another thing I miss from Ohio is clam bakes. Picture a big steamer with a faucet at the bottom. Layer bags of clams at the bottom then sweet taters, corn and chicken halves. The faucet is to draw off broth which is poured over the top. To finish you toss the chicken halves on a grill. Totally to die for!

Pavlova!!
Had to google that. Looks good!!
You have no idea how good it is. Meringue base filled with whipped cream and covered in fruit and kept in the fridge. On a hot day, it is sweet and cold and tastes fabulous. They even did an episode of it on the TV show Bluey. It's hilarious :)

What is a unique regional food from your location or hometown (city or region)? What would you serve to or treat a visiting friend?
Not sure about unique but I kind of enjoy beef, beans and rice. Simple, old fashioned and boring but has a lot of taste.

Kangaroo steak with pureed carrot. Slow roast some Kangaroo steaks. Boil some carrots. Blend the carrots up and pour them over the steak when it's cooked. Yummy. The carrot changes the flavor of the meat just a little bit and adds a little bit of moisture to the meat. Kangaroo has very little fat in the meat and can be a bit dry so the carrot helps fix that.

My all time favorite during the full moon is roast cat with sweet potatoe :werewolf:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back