Votes: 15 23.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 11.1%

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
a7xAda said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.

As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.

My heart bleeds for you, I understand your pain.  The immaturity is atrocious....................LOL

Listen to yourself.  You sound ridiculous.  Don't worry, we won't challenge your intellect, carry on. 

frapadoodle said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.
Blah, blah, poop, blah.
Yes some of is immaturity in getting knickers in a wad over a popularity contest. Some of it is just folks pickin at each other in fun.
If you feel you have nothing to learn the web is full of forums. If you are an experienced fishkeeper stick around and share your knowledge with others.
But to say that the forum is unimpresive is just more poop in the storm, and doesn't do much for intellectual debate.

Just for fun, your post count is more than two.

Boom, Frapadoodle layeth the smacketh down................

If no one else enters for March, we shall just have to use "contructive crtisism".
Come to think of it it really could three more grains of sand.
That sounds so much better than just saying it's just not the jelly in my doughnut.
Ruskull said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.
As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.

My heart bleeds for you, I understand your pain.  The immaturity is atrocious....................LOL

Listen to yourself.  You sound ridiculous.  Don't worry, we won't challenge your intellect, carry on. 
frapadoodle said:
Maturity as a whole, not necessarily specific to this particular thread, but as the atrociousness that is Tropical Fish Forums seemed to be at its greatest on this particular thread, I chose this as the most opportune point for my comment. In all fairness, This Old Spouse was kind of right. There is not much for competition, but as rules have been adjusted, I cannot show off my tank. What I can say is that for everyone to get twisted up into a riot because of Spouse voicing her disappointment in the not so competitive photos was kind of ridiculous. This competition is where you put your tank on show. For someone to take offense to a criticism in a competition is immature. If you didn't want the scrutiny, do not enter your tank. Simple as that.As far as immaturity as a whole. I have visited the chat. I have visited numerous threads, although this display kind of took the cake. This forum is unimpressive and I do not feel that there is anyone here who is going to enhance my knowledge as an experienced keeper. If people cannot keep a level head over criticism in an online competition not worth a squat, how are they going to have an intellectual debate with me about fishkeeping.
Blah, blah, poop, blah.
Yes some of is immaturity in getting knickers in a wad over a popularity contest. Some of it is just folks pickin at each other in fun.
If you feel you have nothing to learn the web is full of forums. If you are an experienced fishkeeper stick around and share your knowledge with others.
But to say that the forum is unimpresive is just more poop in the storm, and doesn't do much for intellectual debate.
Just for fun, your post count is more than two.

Boom, Frapadoodle layeth the smacketh down................

Thanks, Ruskull, it sounds so much better when one channels The Bard.

OK, I know I said let Sleeping Dogs Lie but I have to say that I do not think that a7xAda sounds ridiculous. They are right. For people to take offence to what ThisOldSpouse and me said is ridiculous. Simple as. We never said we didn't like the tanks, we simply said that compared to the past competitions the standard has dropped a lot. This may be partially because of the rule change and my partner actually wanted to enter his 300l when he's re-planted it and sorted it all out but he A. Doesn't have the 60+ days or post count and B. Doesn't want to bother with the forum anymore after I showed him this thread. Simply because he agrees with everything me, ThisOldSpouse and a7xAda have said. I told him to look through old posts of voting for the TOTM and he agrees completely. I may enter his tank at some point if he's OK with it but even with his amazing scaping and everything I doubt it'll get voted for after I post this because people are going to once again dislike me for sharing my opinion which is all it is. It is not a "dig" at someones tank, nor is it a "I don't like your tank, don't enter it again" .It is merely my opinion.

David J said:
One of the reasons I joined this forum was because I am a beginner and want to expand my knowledge by being able to chat with more experienced fishkeepers.
As I've said before on this thread, not everyone is going to agree with any one opinion. We humans are too complex. It just can't happen. The group will always split into two, people who agree and people who disagree.
To me, the only solution is to give constructive feedback on the tanks instead if just saying you aren't keen on them? Why don't you like it? What do you think could be better?
What would you rather hear?
'I don't like your tank!'.
Or,
'I feel your tank would benefit from some more plants, particularly in the background and I also think you could add some more colourful fish as the ones you have just now seem to disappear in the tank'.
I for one would rather constructive criticism of my tank. That way I might learn something. It may be that i disagree with the criticism but that is because we all have different tastes. One person loves heavily planted and natural looking tanks and the next will like a more minimalist look. There is no right or wrong. If I disagree with the criticism it might be just because I have another vision for my tank than the person offering their advice. If I don't agree all I need to say is 'thanks for your comments but I much prefer less plants and personally I'm not really fussed about the colour of my fish because I'm much more into the behaviour of the fish'.
Again, the whole point of me joining was to learn about all aspects of fish keeping. Most people will happily take constrictive criticism but few are happy with closed negative comments.
Hit the nail on the head with this one.

David J said:
Perhaps from this thread and that stellar opening entry, nobody else will enter march.
whistling.gif
Lol, that's true. Hopefully it hasn't put folks off. If nobody enters, everyone that got involved in this thread should enter their tank. That would an interesting grudge match of sorts.

Maybe best not lol...
My tank would probably look a lot better without the DIY mesh net splitting it in half.
hehe.gif
And then waiting a few months to the plants to grow out. I actually wanted to enter in the fish of the month comp, but I kept getting scared of the other entries each month. 

Paradise<3 said:
OK, I know I said let Sleeping Dogs Lie but I have to say that I do not think that a7xAda sounds ridiculous. They are right. For people to take offence to what ThisOldSpouse and me said is ridiculous. Simple as. We never said we didn't like the tanks, we simply said that compared to the past competitions the standard has dropped a lot. This may be partially because of the rule change and my partner actually wanted to enter his 300l when he's re-planted it and sorted it all out but he A. Doesn't have the 60+ days or post count and B. Doesn't want to bother with the forum anymore after I showed him this thread. Simply because he agrees with everything me, ThisOldSpouse and a7xAda have said. I told him to look through old posts of voting for the TOTM and he agrees completely. I may enter his tank at some point if he's OK with it but even with his amazing scaping and everything I doubt it'll get voted for after I post this because people are going to once again dislike me for sharing my opinion which is all it is. It is not a "dig" at someones tank, nor is it a "I don't like your tank, don't enter it again" .It is merely my opinion.

Never once did I say it was wrong for anyone to voice their opinion, but to paint the whole forum that way is ridiculous.  I post on many forums, not just fish related ones, and this forum is just like any other.  

On the brighter side this thread reached the 5 page mark..............

Wow, what a poop storm.
91,000+ listed members.
10 tanks entered.
60 votes cast.
20 members commenting.

Again I say like any contest it's about popularity. And personal likes/dislikes.
And as for the immaturity again I say, (as I was part of the last poop storm involving this contest.), it's everyone getting thier feelings hurt if someone says something other than, ooh I love all the tanks, I want one just like each one.
Or if you don't have the opinion that each month the tanks just keep getting better.

As has been said what do you get for winning? Bragging rights, and then at the end of the year, you're thrown into another popularity contest.
If you don't like contrary opinions, just vote and go on, don't read them. If you do and it causes that much anxiety, well docotors prescibe pills for that everyday.

And as I have said, many of us here are familiar with one another, and enjoy stirrin the puddin.
I also find it odd how vehement people get about this contest, and not about some of the bad advice that is stated as fact elsewhere.

Anyway all this poop has about got me pooped out, but it sure is fun.

frapadoodle said:
Wow, what a poop storm.
91,000+ listed members.
10 tanks entered.
60 votes cast.
20 members commenting.

Again I say like any contest it's about popularity. And personal likes/dislikes.
And as for the immaturity again I say, (as I was part of the last poop storm involving this contest.), it's everyone getting thier feelings hurt if someone says something other than, ooh I love all the tanks, I want one just like each one.
Or if you don't have the opinion that each month the tanks just keep getting better.

As has been said what do you get for winning? Bragging rights, and then at the end of the year, you're thrown into another popularity contest.
If you don't like contrary opinions, just vote and go on, don't read them. If you do and it causes that much anxiety, well docotors prescibe pills for that everyday.

And as I have said, many of us here are familiar with one another, and enjoy stirrin the puddin.
I also find it odd how vehement people get about this contest, and not about some of the bad advice that is stated as fact elsewhere.

Anyway all this poop has about got me pooped out, but it sure is fun.

Actually... I agree with this... All Of it...

Right, now you've got my attention. My apologies for not noticing the thread building sooner.

From now, lets keep this to a post about the tanks and comments on the competition that are constructive. If you want to start talking about the forum in general and attitudes here then there are sections where we can set up the conversation, so long as it's kept sensible.

So, fair warning to stay on topic, which is the discussion of the tanks involved (politely) and congratulations and commiserations if they are in order.

Change of subject:
What is with the giant tree man in tank 8. Looks wicked.

Let me be the first to congratulate tank #7..............one of the best small round tanks I've seen.  I believe the poster's name is Sahira and he/she said it was a shrimp tank. 

Ruskull said:
Let me be the first to congratulate tank #7..............one of the best small round tanks I've seen.  I believe the poster's name is Sahira and he/she said it was a shrimp tank. 
I did almost go back and change my vote. #7 is a sweet little tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back