FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

despreauxb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a pair (or one male and 2 females depending on what's best) but there's so many types! What's your personal favorite and why?

Mikrogeophagus sp. "Zweifleck." Overall, they have pretty colors.

I've been looking into getting a pair (or one male and 2 females depending on what's best) but there's so many types! What's your personal favorite and why?

I assume "rams" refers to the varieties of the species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, the common or blue ram. There are many varieties but they are all the same species. There is however another distinct species, M. altispinosus, the Bolivian Ram.

With both species, the fish must select their mate from a group. Any female paired with any male may or may not work, and one will be dead before long if they do not bond. You can sometimes discern a likely bonded pair from the group of fish in the store tank. Or you can acquire a group of your own, but then you will have fish to get rid of if a pair forms. Unless the tank is large, and sometimes even then, the male will establish his territory and allow the female he bonds with to remain, but likely not another. Especially if they spawn.

I used to have wild caught rams, and they were very different from the linebred forms I've kept. They were the most alert, feisty and rowdy little characters. Every time I've gotten the fancy form ones they've been insipid in comparison. The linebreds have stronger colouring, but the behaviour of wilds wins hands down.

I assume "rams" refers to the varieties of the species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, the common or blue ram. There are many varieties but they are all the same species. There is however another distinct species, M. altispinosus, the Bolivian Ram.

With both species, the fish must select their mate from a group. Any female paired with any male may or may not work, and one will be dead before long if they do not bond. You can sometimes discern a likely bonded pair from the group of fish in the store tank. Or you can acquire a group of your own, but then you will have fish to get rid of if a pair forms. Unless the tank is large, and sometimes even then, the male will establish his territory and allow the female he bonds with to remain, but likely not another. Especially if they spawn.
How can I pick out an already bonded pair? Or do you know any breeders that sell them?

I used to have wild caught rams, and they were very different from the linebred forms I've kept. They were the most alert, feisty and rowdy little characters. Every time I've gotten the fancy form ones they've been insipid in comparison. The linebreds have stronger colouring, but the behaviour of wilds wins hands down.
Are wild caught as healthy? Did you order them online?

How can I pick out an already bonded pair? Or do you know any breeders that sell them?

If the fish store has a tank of rams, it is generally possible to find a likely bonded pair. The males will always be "charging" at each other--in the crowded small store tank this is usually as far as their aggression goes, but in the habitat or a large tank they can be very physically aggressive in establishing their territory. Look for a female (these will be basically ignoring the males, picking at the substrate or whatever) close to one of the males, and if the male appears to allow her there without chasing her away, he will likely accept her. You may have to stand motionless in front of the tank for a while.

If you can find a breeder or dealer that has bonded pairs, all well and good.

Are wild caught as healthy? Did you order them online?
I have only seen them twice. I got mine via a specialty importer.
No farmed fish is ever as healthy as a wild. The conditions they grow under are a little different.

I prefer the long fin German blue. Must confess it is for purely esthetic reasons. I love the look of the glorious fins as they age.
My hubby is partial to electric blue balloon rams. He says it is because of their Mohawk.
They are generally easy going with tankmates unless breeding. Much like my kribensis.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Both species of ram come from water with a GH below 150ppm and a pH below 7.0.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back