favorite cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lilslim321

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok i was wondering what everyones fav cichlid was. like everyone give me a detailed response on there fav cichlid.

My fav is the jack dempsey. they are so cool and mine sometimes acctually let me touch tem and stuff. if i had to choose my second fav it would prolly be the jewl cichlid. well i look forward to hear what u all have to say. thanx,
WILL

I have to agree with you slim. Those are two of my favorites. I don't have any of them right now but, want to get back and get a tank with some Jacks.

My fav of all time was a cross breed that I got by mistake. I had a Firemouth and a Texas Cichlid cross in a 45 gallon tank of mine. It had the body shape of the Firemouth, the exact coloration of the Texas, and had the red gill flares of the Firemouth. Pretty cool! Ended up with about ten of them and the parents were really good about raising them. That was about ten years ago and they are long gone.

Thanks,
Brad

my favorite cichlids are green terror(coz i love mine) :wub:my gt is like a big o'l wet dog.
actually it's tied w/my n.nigriventris but he hides to much.
:blush:

very cool fish. got both of them also. hey mostanks, have you ever seen a red terror? very cool also.

got to be the red devil and the frontosa. kinda like a toss up. then the buttikoferi and the dovii. like the behavior of the dovii. or maybe cause mine hates my mother in law! go figure! :p

too many fish to have a favorite though.

maggie

Paratilapia Pollini 'Big Spot' (look it up on Google, also under Paratilapia Bleekeri). A Madagascan Cichlid, under threat in the wild. Breeding colouration of white, gold and blue spangling on velvet black! Big too, adults - Male 12" TL, Female 8"TL. Great personality, male always displaying to her but never agressive. She has a go back if he oversteps the line!!

Have already mentioned these to Maggie, she said they aren't seen much in US. They are becoming more available in UK, so maybe soon the US will see more of them aswell. If anyone sees them and they have the room, buy them!! Simple as that... you will not be disappointed. B)

Take a look - The Cichlid Room Companion

red terrors are cool looking as well,i just wish i had the room for one :(
and i have to agree it's hard to pic just one or 2 favorite fish i :wub: 'em all.

Paratilapia Pollini 'Big Spot'
never heard of those,i'll do a search :D

:fun: :fun: :fun:

what kind of front? just got wild mpibwe blues from cichlidmaster. you should check out his fronts. beautiful. wich i had the room for his biggie. christmas is coming. maybe santa will bring me a new tank!

maggie

Lets just hope he dosn't drop it down the chimney, you know what he's like after a few sherries and a load of minced pies!! :p

Hey Maggie,

My three are the Burundi..AND..my largest I did get from Larry :lol: The other two are from Highland Tropical on M59. Are you the one who came right in front of me and bought the Mpimbwe.. :lol:

i don't know. i got four of them. about 2 months ago. next time you go over to larry's let me know. i would like to meet another fanatic.

maggie

my favorite cichlid thus far is the Tilapia Buttikoferi.

I just love his temper and his digging rituals. i actually have a little stuffed toy that i painted black lines on (similar to the buttikoferi). And i taunt him from outside the aquarium.

i also like to move his rock formation back to level when i do water changes. this really pisses him off.

The all mighty 'Parachromis Dovii' just for pure aggression...and is one of the most beatiful cichlid as an adult

i cant belive no one said the great beast the oscar they are a classic but as an all time fav i would pick the jack

also like the dovii. mine is a character. can't wait til my inlaws go on vacation and i can sneak over and steal him back B) though the scientific name was parapentia dovii?!

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back