Favorite Books & Book Quotes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

“There's a thing you can do with these small intel drones (if your client orders you to, or you don't have a working governor module), when the hostiles are dumb enough to get aggressive without adequate body armor. You can accelerate a drone and send it straight at the hostile's face. Even if you don't hit an eye or ear and go straight through to the brain, you can make a crater in the skull. Doing this would solve the problem and get me back to new episodes of Lineages of the Sun much more quickly.”
― Martha Wells, Network Effect

“There's a thing you can do with these small intel drones (if your client orders you to, or you don't have a working governor module), when the hostiles are dumb enough to get aggressive without adequate body armor. You can accelerate a drone and send it straight at the hostile's face. Even if you don't hit an eye or ear and go straight through to the brain, you can make a crater in the skull. Doing this would solve the problem and get me back to new episodes of Lineages of the Sun much more quickly.”
― Martha Wells, Network Effect
Alrighty then....😂

Despite the title and quotes Murderbot series is a fairly light read. He/she/it just wants to be left alone to watch soap operas after all...

Chronicles of narnia
Love the movies, but I watched them before reading the book. The book is much more detailed so I think if I would have watched the movie after I wouldn't have liked it as much. I have read it, but it has been a while.

I was disgusted when they sold the copywrites to Netflix to make a series (we don't watch Netflix and I wanted the movies and not a series anyways lol) lol. I kept hoping they would make a 4th and so on...

I always liked this quote from Watchmen by Alan Moore...

----------

“Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.
And yet, in each human coupling, a thousand million sperm vie for a single egg. Multiply those odds by countless generations, against the odds of your ancestors being alive; meeting; siring this precise son; that exact daughter... Until your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate, and of that union, of the thousand million children competing for fertilization, it was you, only you, that emerged. To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold... that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermodynamic miracle.

But...if me, my birth, if that's a thermodynamic miracle... I mean, you could say that about anybody in the world!.

Yes. Anybody in the world. ..But the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget... I forget. We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from the another's vantage point. As if new, it may still take our breath away. Come...dry your eyes. For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home.”

---------

We're all miracles. Every single one of us.

Paraphrasing it here:
"A single apple fell from a tree and everyone knew the meaning of gravity, but millions of bodies fell and no one knew the meaning of humanity"- Unknown

(I don't know the original person who said this, but I loved the quote)

Paraphrasing it here:
"A single apple fell from a tree and everyone knew the meaning of gravity, but millions of bodies fell and no one knew the meaning of humanity"- Unknown

(I don't know the original person who said this, but I loved the quote)
And no one ever will know the meaning of humanity . They assassinated Ghandi for crying out loud . Ghandi ? ! ? ! A barefoot old man in a sheet .

I know the meaning of humanity.

We worry too much, but if we just accepted we're animals like all other animals, we might behave better. Or not. It does leave you in a world of wonder, if you think about it. It goes against all the mythologies and a lot of our best quotes from authors though.

“We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes—one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximum freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back