Favorite Books & Book Quotes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bob wire . Barbed wire . That accursed stuff that snags and rips animals and humans alike. ( pling ! ) "Always cut fence."
Yuck, I hate that stuff. We have random bits of that by our property line. When we bought it the neighbor had fenced in some of our property with barbwire. It never got properly taken out. I've tripped on it hidden under the leaf littler multiple times. Ripped up my ankle or pants.

I'm a lover of books! Awesome that this thread was made, I needed some recommendations!

Now to try and choose just a few of my favorites:
1. Redwall by Brian Jacques. Awesome book that I've read many times! His writing style his beautiful, and the world and story he creates his heroic and wholesome.
2. The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier. An interesting story set in the civil war in England with a unique perspective. The characters are original and witty. Would recommend to anyone who likes historical fiction.
3. This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti. A very unique take on every day life spiritually. A book involving religion that fantasy readers might enjoy. Really makes you think about what you aren't seeing.

I love many more books, but if I had to choose just three it would be these.

As for quote, there are a few that I like to use in conversations:
"Fly you fools!", "Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste!", "Don't be hasty." All from Lord of The Rings, which movies, I don't remember.

I'm a lover of books! Awesome that this thread was made, I needed some recommendations!

Now to try and choose just a few of my favorites:
1. Redwall by Brian Jacques. Awesome book that I've read many times! His writing style his beautiful, and the world and story he creates his heroic and wholesome.
2. The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier. An interesting story set in the civil war in England with a unique perspective. The characters are original and witty. Would recommend to anyone who likes historical fiction.

3. This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti. A very unique take on every day life spiritually. A book involving religion that fantasy readers might enjoy. Really makes you think about what you aren't seeing.
I have started reading that it is really good. I like his teen mystery series too- Cooper Kids.https://www.goodreads.com/series/40888-the-cooper-kids-adventures
I love many more books, but if I had to choose just three it would be these.

As for quote, there are a few that I like to use in conversations:
"Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste!"
That's from LOTR the two towers. Love those movies.

"The Barbed Wire Fence Fighters". It could be a good book.
I need to put something around an area to be enclosed for dogs, but the main part of our lot is mostly open. There's even one partial fence designed with an area that's easy for even elderly people to step over, so people can walk through the back. One of my neighbours is a 'get off my lawn' type, but she hasn't walked much beyond her car for decades, and there are a few acres of scrub woods behind her house Some teenagers built a shack on her lot, then burned it down, and she still doesn't know about it 20 years later. There's a network of paths, from deer and people back there, and I like that fact. Land is to be used, by all creatures.

And yes, there is a small grove of trees where I have been known to sit and read in the summer.

I like the Lord of the Rings reference. That is an imaginative world to get into. If you see a bookstore and haven't gone in, fly you fools! The books are better than the very good movies.

I hate it when books get made into movies. They always ruin something or everything. My own imagination is way better than any screen.
Actually the I enjoyed the movie Wonder better than the book and I read the book first. Don't get me wrong, the book was incredible, but they did a better job on the movie.
But then there are books better than the movies 100%.
Johnny Tremaine. Loved the book and absolutely hated the movie. Such a let down.

If any movie is to be good it must be watched before the book was read otherwise it is completely ruined.
Yah true. But I would rather have the movie be a lot like the book. It would make the movies much better tbh

William Shakespeare
from As You Like it.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

Last edited:
That Shakespeare. It's just like the bible. All he did was string together familiar quotations you hear in lots of places! :rolleyes:

I have started reading that it is really good. I like his teen mystery series too- Cooper Kids.https://www.goodreads.com/series/40888-the-cooper-kids-adventures

That's from LOTR the two towers. Love those movies.
I enjoyed the cooper kids books when I was younger too! My brother is reading the series now I think

That Shakespeare. It's just like the bible. All he did was string together familiar quotations you hear in lots of places! :rolleyes:
The Bible is not a bunch of strung-together quotations. It's a history book and a future book... Although so many hate it, and such great attempts have been made to destroy it, it has never been destroyed. It is the world's most translated book.

Why are you so against it if I may ask?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back