favorite and least favorite things about fish keeping!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

DancingBetta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I thought it would be fun to start this thread. What are your favorite and least favorite things about fish keeping?
Iā€™ll start.
My favorite things are decorating the tank and watching the fish. Itā€™s so peaceful!

I donā€™t like fish diseases and injuries, though. They either make me sad or grossed out. For example, when my guppyā€™s lips were peeling, it was disgusting. After a day she was back to normal, but disgusting! The other guppies didnā€™t even go near her! When a Cory gets sick, itā€™s sad because... theyā€™re cories! Those wittle guys are so adorable!
The end! I hope this doesnā€™t exist already!

Favourite: Fish and researching them which includes you tube vids and wandering around lfs. The invention of the python. The tanks Iā€™ll have when I win the lottery. The poster who enquired ā€œwhat kind of pansy-ass forum is this?ā€ before disappearing, presumably never to be heard of again. We couldā€™ve had some fun with him.

Least favourite: Hair algae, 340ppm water, Salvina, bullying fish.

My favorite things are stopping the pumps and feeding my fishes. I love watching them. My Harlequin Rasbora tank is near a window and their little bodies shimmer in the daylight. Usually after I feed them, they are energized and they will swim in a school from one end of the tank to the other in a straight line, in perfect harmony. Itā€™s like they are showing off for me to thank me for bringing them food.
I love it
My least favorite thing is when I notice that someone in the tank doesnā€™t feel so well and then, the next day or so they either disappear or are floating belly up somewhere...makes me feel really sad like it was my fault.

My favorite things are stopping the pumps and feeding my fishes. I love watching them. My Harlequin Rasbora tank is near a window and their little bodies shimmer in the daylight. Usually after I feed them, they are energized and they will swim in a school from one end of the tank to the other in a straight line, in perfect harmony. Itā€™s like they are showing off for me to thank me for bringing them food.
I love it
My least favorite thing is when I notice that someone in the tank doesnā€™t feel so well and then, the next day or so they either disappear or are floating belly up somewhere...makes me feel really sad like it was my fault.
I love Harlequin Rasbora but don't have any at the moment. How many do you have in what size tank? I love the idea of them shimmering in the daylight, but do you get algae with that setup? Any pictures?

Favorite parts of aquarium keeping:
Creating aquascapes.
Researching biotope-appropriate, compatible plants and animals.
Participating in and making possible a functioning mini-ecosystem.
My daughter could identify an otocinclus before she knew what a television was.
Combining my love of creativity and living things.
Sitting back with a good cup of tea and watching my aquatic critters do their aquatic-crittery things.

Least favorite parts of aquarium keeping:
When things feel wrong but I don't know why; when things go wrong and I don't know how to fix it.
Cleaning out canister filters.
Making the decision to tear down a good setup that has outlived its days.
Black brush algae.
Visitors to the house who glance at the tank, say, "That's pretty," then change the subject, as if my finely balanced, deeply researched, lovingly crafted living work of art were nothing more than a lava lamp or a painting on the wall; they are supposed to ask me detailed questions about the biotope and the species and the plants and how I built it and the soil microbes and by the way did you notice how those two species interact and and and and....

Favorite parts of aquarium keeping:
Creating aquascapes.
Researching biotope-appropriate, compatible plants and animals.
Participating in and making possible a functioning mini-ecosystem.
My daughter could identify an otocinclus before she knew what a television was.
Combining my love of creativity and living things.
Sitting back with a good cup of tea and watching my aquatic critters do their aquatic-crittery things.

Least favorite parts of aquarium keeping:
When things feel wrong but I don't know why; when things go wrong and I don't know how to fix it.
Cleaning out canister filters.
Making the decision to tear down a good setup that has outlived its days.
Black brush algae.
Visitors to the house who glance at the tank, say, "That's pretty," then change the subject, as if my finely balanced, deeply researched, lovingly crafted living work of art were nothing more than a lava lamp or a painting on the wall; they are supposed to ask me detailed questions about the biotope and the species and the plants and how I built it and the soil microbes and by the way did you notice how those two species interact and and and and....
Novelty ornaments will make em look twice.

Favorite thing is watching the fish at feeding time. Also another favorite thing is going on our forums and seeing increased participation in our contests.
Least favorite is when any fish is not well or dies.

My favorite things about keeping fish are aquascaping and just watching the fish swim around and be happy.
My least favorite things are when fish get sick, and cleaning ALGAE! I hate algae so much. It is the bane of my existence.

The poster who enquired ā€œwhat kind of pansy-ass forum is this?ā€ before disappearing, presumably never to be heard of again. We couldā€™ve had some fun with him.

Really? I can't believe I missed that. What thread was that in?

Favourite: Fish and researching them which includes you tube vids and wandering around lfs. The invention of the python. The tanks Iā€™ll have when I win the lottery. The poster who enquired ā€œwhat kind of pansy-ass forum is this?ā€ before disappearing, presumably never to be heard of again. We couldā€™ve had some fun with him.

Least favourite: Hair algae, 340ppm water, Salvina, bullying fish.
Yeh I remember that person who dissed our forum and then disappeared in days. Maybe he thought we were a fishing forum instead of a fish forum. :lol: He won't be missed!

Most reactions

Back