Favorite and Least Favorite Tanks

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
What is your favorite size tank and why? What is your least favorite and why? I think I like my 20G long’s the best but lean towards my 55G too. I like the 20’s because they’re long enough for a small community without taking up too much room. My 55G is a good size and still very easy to clean. My least favorite is my 45G because it’s too hard to reach the bottom in without really stretching.

My favourite is my 180 litre tank. It is a custom built tank so I got to choose the dimensions rather than have a limited choice of shapes with ready built tanks. The maker used imperial measurements so it's 42 x 18 x 18 inches (107 x 45 x 45 cm) which works out at 223 litres, but when I subtract the space taken by the decor etc and the air above the water it holds about 180.

I don't have a least favourite as I have only two tanks and I like them both :)

I don't really have a favourite or least favourite. Always had larger tanks until I got the Flex 15G and was quite worried about something so small. It only had nano fish in it but then I got a 20G high. I really like the idea of a 20G long and would (of course) like several of them. Decent swimming space, easy for water changes and light enough to move if needed. Sadly its not a popular size in the UK and quite difficult to find without paying a disproportianately high price.

Now if only someone would bring dollar per gallon, pound per gallon even, this side of the pond :drool:

My favorite tank size of all is the 20 gallon high. I have had tons of different fish in one over the years. These days I prefer smaller tanks just because they are physically easier on me. Easy to lift if I have to and quick and easy to maintain. Also, at my age if I become incapacitated for some reason then my hobby doesn't become a burden to whoever would have to dismantle it. I have projects going on and fish I want and my 20, 2 fives, a ten and one fifteen will suit me perfectly. I also have a 2 1/2 gallon. It's all glass and technically is an aquarium but I don't view it that way. It's just for Killie fry. So, to have my proper six tanks I want a 20 long too. They look to be a very nice size. My least favorite tank ? The one with no fish in it.

Yup agree with most of that. Not quite ready to retire yet but
wait a minute I really am ready but the finances aren't there yet :)
I do love the 180l community tank but I am really enjoying the smaller tanks with much fewer species in big groups. The 15G has CPD as the only fish and the 20 has sids and microvario kubotai. They aren't quite authentic biotopes but represent a far more natural habitat for the inhabitants.

Probably my 10g betta tank. I love it to death! :lol:

It has grown a lot (literally) over the past year. :)

My least favorite is my 1.5g snail tank, it’s a mess. :oops:

Last edited:
What is your favorite size tank and why? What is your least favorite and why? I think I like my 20G long’s the best but lean towards my 55G too. I like the 20’s because they’re long enough for a small community without taking up too much room. My 55G is a good size and still very easy to clean. My least favorite is my 45G because it’s too hard to reach the bottom in without really stretching.
20 gallon long works well for me. Enough footprint for several species and easy to work with. I recently retired and have gotten back into fish after about ten years. I kept fish for about 25 years before that and missed them. Now I have more time to enjoy them.

I am also retired (if a housewife can be retired :) ) though I only started keeping fish in my 40s and haven't taken a break since then.

I have 3 - 29 gallon tanks. . I think it's a really nice size for a beginner because you really have room to do a little real landscaping and have a decent number and variety of fish. Smaller tanks are just too limiting. I bought these mainly because I had several sturdy dressers I could put them on that were the perfect size and the drawers could store all the fish supplies. I didn't really like the look of the stands in the stores - they didn't look strong or steady enough to support the weight. My problem is that all but one of the dressers is fairly high so I have to use a little stepstool to pick out snails, take dead plant matter out of intake tubes etc. So I love the one on the shorter dresser where I can easily see and reach everything. I always have to roll up my sleeves to my shoulders though or I have a very wet shirt. I'm pretty short.

I would LOVE to get a 55 or 75 gallon tank but being disabled I think I'm in over my head with all the weekly water changes on the tanks I have so far. I can't imagine doing a 75% water change on a tank bigger than what I have.- oh and to have a 100-200 gallon tank would be so amazing - think of the kinds of fish you could have. But I rent an older duplex and I doubt my landlord would appreciate a tank exploding on the hardwood floors or falling through the floor. I could put a large one in the basement but even though I have the basement cleaned and sprayed regularly there are too many bugs and some gigantic spiders down there (obvious foundation issues letting little critters get in) - luckily little or no water gets in. Plus I don't handle stairs well any more. If you look at all the youtube videos of the bigtime amatuer fish keepers they always have their tanks in their basements. They are not particularly attractive tanks - since they are usually in it for the breeding - which I have no interest in.

Water changes have been REALLY good exercise for me - I'm building muscles in my arms again - I was such a depressed couch potato before these aquariums came into my life - they force me to function no matter how bad I feel and some days it's a real struggle but they are true miracle workers.

Sorry I ramble on - the question was best size of tank - and I'll say 29 gallons. I am fond of my cute little 5 gallon hospital tank too but wouldn't regularly keep anything but a sick fish in it - just too small.

I have 3 - 29 gallon tanks. . I think it's a really nice size for a beginner because you really have room to do a little real landscaping and have a decent number and variety of fish. Smaller tanks are just too limiting. I bought these mainly because I had several sturdy dressers I could put them on that were the perfect size and the drawers could store all the fish supplies. I didn't really like the look of the stands in the stores - they didn't look strong or steady enough to support the weight. My problem is that all but one of the dressers is fairly high so I have to use a little stepstool to pick out snails, take dead plant matter out of intake tubes etc. So I love the one on the shorter dresser where I can easily see and reach everything. I always have to roll up my sleeves to my shoulders though or I have a very wet shirt. I'm pretty short.

I would LOVE to get a 55 or 75 gallon tank but being disabled I think I'm in over my head with all the weekly water changes on the tanks I have so far. I can't imagine doing a 75% water change on a tank bigger than what I have.- oh and to have a 100-200 gallon tank would be so amazing - think of the kinds of fish you could have. But I rent an older duplex and I doubt my landlord would appreciate a tank exploding on the hardwood floors or falling through the floor. I could put a large one in the basement but even though I have the basement cleaned and sprayed regularly there are too many bugs and some gigantic spiders down there (obvious foundation issues letting little critters get in) - luckily little or no water gets in. Plus I don't handle stairs well any more. If you look at all the youtube videos of the bigtime amatuer fish keepers they always have their tanks in their basements. They are not particularly attractive tanks - since they are usually in it for the breeding - which I have no interest in.

Water changes have been REALLY good exercise for me - I'm building muscles in my arms again - I was such a depressed couch potato before these aquariums came into my life - they force me to function no matter how bad I feel and some days it's a real struggle but they are true miracle workers.

Sorry I ramble on - the question was best size of tank - and I'll say 29 gallons. I am fond of my cute little 5 gallon hospital tank too but wouldn't regularly keep anything but a sick fish in it - just too small.
I wish I had a basement to use as a fish room. Sadly, in the South, everything is in the attic. I could just see a 100 gallon tank come through my ceiling! You who have basements are so lucky!

The common thread repeats ! How many old timers are on this forum that are coming back into the hobby ? Quite a few !
I’m one! Retired early 18 months ago and loving the hobby again! Glad I got back into it before retiring or I would have been a lost couch potatoe!

Boy, that's me too. If it weren't for the fish I'd be sitting on my butt more than I do now. That couch really likes me. @Jan Cavalieri you don't ramble. You just talk a lot. :) And I'm going to have to agree with you on the exercise bit. Water changes and mowing the lawn are as strenuous as it gets for me these days.

And since we're talking about tanks . . . . She Who Must Be Obeyed has given her blessing for me to max out at six tanks. I was going to get a 15 and a 10 in January but in reading these posts I decided to go with a 20 long and a 15. Always wanted a 20 long and the 15 will be better for fry raising than a 10. Aqueon makes a very nice looking stand that holds the 20 long on top and the 15 underneath. The 15 will be a bare tank for fry raising so I won't have to be concerned about stooping down too much. I just bought an R/O unit and I want to do something special with the 20 long. I don't want to have all Killifish. I want to have one tank that's just to look at and enjoy. So maybe this 20 long will be the tetra tank I've always wanted. A dozen Lemon Tetras again ?

Most reactions

trending

Back