Favorite alkaline (pH 8) fish, hard water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

so the 55 gallon footprint is 48x12 = 576 sq inches
mine is 36x18 = 648. so actually bigger, just not as high.
but is it the length is more important?
Most rainbows are a little pricey for just starting out and making sure I do things right. My LFS wants $36/pr and $50 for the two that would possibly fit for me, and I just can't justify that cost when you get 6-8 fish. Far cheaper online, but then LFS are doing well on my water system and don't have to have all the shipping worries.

When Seriously Fish gives the tank dimensions, each individual dimension needs to be met. For most fish, length is the most important of the three. In the case in question, 48 inches in the minimum length, though the tank doesn't need to be very wide or tall which is why they give the minimum height and width of 12 inches.
It is also important to realise that these are the minimum dimensions a species needs not the recommended dimensions.

Thanks, Essjay. I see how happy my little cherry barbs are in my 40 g tank (esp with no other fish yet) and I love seeing them thrive and having fun. I wouldn't want to put fish in my tank that can't "stretch their legs".
I'm really considering the Celebes rainbowfish since they're smaller and a better match. I'd have to buy them online though (I think) and not sure I want to take that step yet.
I appreciate the help!

I've been struggling with really hard London water- my PH is at 9 now and I'm trying various things to bring it down. Any recommendations on fish for high PH water? Other parameters are great, just struggling and don't want to be using a load of chemicals so would rather stock it accordingly.

The pH is likely being buffered by the GH/KH if they are high (hard water is mentioned), and unless you reduce the GH/KH the pH will keep reverting back, and this is far worse on fish than leaving it alone.

London water is very hard; it is often described as liquid rock.

I would be looking at setting your tank up with a peat base, and use the peat as the pH and hardness buffer.

I would be looking at setting your tank up with a peat base, and use the peat as the pH and hardness buffer.

I'm not sure this would work. The peat would become exhausted, and the harder the water the quicker. And every water change would only be increasing the mineral content and buffering capability (keeping the pH high, I mean).

I'm not sure this would work. The peat would become exhausted, and the harder the water the quicker. And every water change would only be increasing the mineral content and buffering capability (keeping the pH high, I mean).
I ran a Discus tank with a peat base, around 2 inches of peat with gravel over it. The tank was set up for 10 years. My water supply was hard alkaline. The tank stayed at pH 6.5. I didn't measure hardness. The combination of peat and drift wood kept this tank very stable. My ID photo is a portion of that tank. I performed 25% water changes on this system.

fyi - bought some Celebes today, what a outgoing voraciously hungry group! Somewhere said they were shy and I'll disagree with that!
Someone suggested Kamaka rainbowfish and they had one at the store. LOVE THEM!!! If all goes well, I might get those next. See if I want to spend that much more...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back