Favorite alkaline (pH 8) fish, hard water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do you think they do better in a single species tank. I never had much success in community tanks with them.
that would be good to know.
Our LFS has some rainbows but charges far higher than other places (2 hours away locally, or online). I just can't justify spending $200 on a school of fish in some cases, and certainly would be upset if they died.
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Celebes rainbowfish are nice and peaceful. They have to be kept in hard water and they do better with a bit of salt too.

When the shops get these fish, they are either really good, or crap. If you see any bodies in the tank, don't touch them because they are probably all going to die. If they look good and are eating and the shop hasn't lost any in a week, then grab some.

Whenever you add rainbowfish to a tank, add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. The salt helps stop them getting sick and increases the success of them surviving.
thanks,, I'll keep that in mind.

Mine is a 40 gallon breeder - so inches: 36x18x16. Fluval 307.

I keep avoiding livebearers because I don't want a bazillion babies. Are there any species that are okay with male only schools?

Do you think they do better in a single species tank. I never had much success in community tanks with them.
Most fish do best in single species tanks and Celebes rainbows are no exception. However, the biggest killer of them is soft water, acid water or bacterial infection that they come in with. If you keep them with small peaceful fishes in hard water, they are fine.

Here's my tank. I'm totally obsessed and quite pleased how it's coming out. (I need to replace the moneywort back right corner, although the barbs love eating from it, but that's a whole 'nother story)
IMG_8596.jpg

Sometimes the search function on SF doesn’t work. I usually just Google “*Species Name* SeriouslyFish”

SF is still up. The forum has never been active, most use the site for reliable data not discussions. I will look into the discrepancy mentioned back a few posts by @PheonixKingZ and resolve that, when I have a few moments.

Thanks Byron.

The forktail rainbowfish is quite appealing. Although not sure my LFS has that one and it scares me to order online...

and the red eye tetra. Perfect parameters and a heckuva lot cheaper for a beginner ;)

Last edited:
I keep avoiding livebearers because I don't want a bazillion babies. Are there any species that are okay with male only schools?

Many aquarists keep livebearers in male only groups. It is the only way (other than regular culling) to keep them and avoid the fry, and while I've no idea what the fish may think of this :shout:...it is frequently advised.

Never mind, I apologize for the incorrect information. They do indeed in a 55g tank. SF says that they need a 110L tank, which equals 29 US gallons. However, it also says they need a tank with dimensions of 48″ x 12″ x 12″, which is essentially a 55g tank.

@Byron, is this another one of those little things wrong with SeriouslyFish?

I looked into the SF profile and don't see the issue. The tank size is accurate (length, etc) but I can see nothing about a 29g tank anywhere. Also, your link in your post #9 is to an article on mold, not this fish...maybe a mix-up. ??

I looked into the SF profile and don't see the issue. The tank size is accurate (length, etc) but I can see nothing about a 29g tank anywhere. Also, your link in your post #9 is to an article on mold, not this fish...maybe a mix-up. ??
I was referring to this: An active species requiring an aquarium measuring at least 48″ x 12″ x 12″ (120cm x 30cm x 30cm) – 110 litres.

110L converted to US gallons is 29.059, but I just rounded to 29 gallons.

It says that a 48” x 12” x 12” is 110L, and I could be, but it’s not a normal tank. A normal 29g tank dimensions are 30″ x 12″ x 18″, but a 55g tank dimensions are 48" x 13" x 21", which is closer to what SF said.

I was all a bit confusing to me. :unsure:

I was referring to this: An active species requiring an aquarium measuring at least 48″ x 12″ x 12″ (120cm x 30cm x 30cm) – 110 litres.

110L converted to US gallons is 29.059, but I just rounded to 29 gallons.

It says that a 48” x 12” x 12” is 110L, and I could be, but it’s not a normal tank. A normal 29g tank dimensions are 30″ x 12″ x 18″, but a 55g tank dimensions are 48" x 13" x 21", which is closer to what SF said.

I was all a bit confusing to me. :unsure:

That seems accurate. If you enter the tank dimensions only in the calculator here on TFF, it comes up with a tank of 113 liters or 30 US gallons. I think the confusion is that many of us seeing 48 X 12 assume the standard 49-55g but that tank is more than 12 inches in height (14 or 15 maybe, not sure off hand). So the low tank with length is OK.

For anyone having hard, alkaline water - what are your favorite fish?

I have found some lists of fish that do well at pH 8. And, my LFS is on my water system and his water isn't too far off from mine, so I'm not as worried about finding guidelines, but I'm certainly not sticking discus in my water.

Bonus points if will do well in my 40 gallon community tank. Rainbows seem to be the top contender, but they're a bit expensive in a new tank in the quantity they like to be in.
Hello :)
As far as I know :
• Poecilia reticulataLsphenops/velifera/caucana/formosa/latipinna/wingei-endler.
• Xiphophorus hellerii/maculatus/montezumae/variatus.
• African lakes cichlids.

That seems accurate. If you enter the tank dimensions only in the calculator here on TFF, it comes up with a tank of 113 liters or 30 US gallons. I think the confusion is that many of us seeing 48 X 12 assume the standard 49-55g but that tank is more than 12 inches in height (14 or 15 maybe, not sure off hand). So the low tank with length is OK.
Hm, ok, interesting. Thank you for correcting me! It just seemed weird, because a tank with those dimensions usually aren’t common here in the US.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back