Favorite alkaline (pH 8) fish, hard water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TWynnB

Reaction score
For anyone having hard, alkaline water - what are your favorite fish?

I have found some lists of fish that do well at pH 8. And, my LFS is on my water system and his water isn't too far off from mine, so I'm not as worried about finding guidelines, but I'm certainly not sticking discus in my water.

Bonus points if will do well in my 40 gallon community tank. Rainbows seem to be the top contender, but they're a bit expensive in a new tank in the quantity they like to be in.

about 350-360ppm.
rainbowfish, African Rift Lake cichlids, livebearers, goldfish, American flag

Mine would probably be Boeseman’s Rainbowfish.

Last edited:
Bumble Bees are really cool and a large group of them in your tank would be interesting

No, not to big for a 40g. What stock are in there now?

Here is a very accurate article on them: https://helpusfish.com/30/how-to-remove-white-mold-in-a-fish-tank.html
ah, most said over 55 gallons, I think b/c they like to swim a lot.

I have 6 cherry barbs and 2 snails. My plan was probably another schooling fish and cories (or other bottom dweller). Possibly a centerpiece fish, but we'd see down the road.
The celebes rainbowfish looks interesting too, going to search the group for experiences with that.

ah, most said over 55 gallons, I think b/c they like to swim a lot.

I have 6 cherry barbs and 2 snails. My plan was probably another schooling fish and cories (or other bottom dweller). Possibly a centerpiece fish, but we'd see down the road.
The celebes rainbowfish looks interesting too, going to search the group for experiences with that.
Never mind, I apologize for the incorrect information. They do indeed in a 55g tank. SF says that they need a 110L tank, which equals 29 US gallons. However, it also says they need a tank with dimensions of 48″ x 12″ x 12″, which is essentially a 55g tank.

@Byron, is this another one of those little things wrong with SeriouslyFish?

I tried to use seriouslyfish today, and didn't work for me. I was afraid it wasn't up anymore, since the last day posted is ages ago. It's still in use?

I did find a nice list of hard water fish on another post here from last year. As well, I bought Schliewen's A-Z book and might've just gone thru it to find some species (I'm so exciting on a Friday night!!).
THanks!

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Celebes rainbowfish are nice and peaceful. They have to be kept in hard water and they do better with a bit of salt too.

When the shops get these fish, they are either really good, or crap. If you see any bodies in the tank, don't touch them because they are probably all going to die. If they look good and are eating and the shop hasn't lost any in a week, then grab some.

Whenever you add rainbowfish to a tank, add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. The salt helps stop them getting sick and increases the success of them surviving.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Celebes rainbowfish are nice and peaceful. They have to be kept in hard water and they do better with a bit of salt too.

When the shops get these fish, they are either really good, or crap. If you see any bodies in the tank, don't touch them because they are probably all going to die. If they look good and are eating and the shop hasn't lost any in a week, then grab some.

Whenever you add rainbowfish to a tank, add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. The salt helps stop them getting sick and increases the success of them surviving.
Do you think they do better in a single species tank. I never had much success in community tanks with them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back