🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :)

So I have 1 rescue male Zebra Danio in a 5 gallon tank, along with about 6 cherry shrimp and a ton of Blue Rams horn snails.

He is super fat, and is usually never this big. Do you guys think he might have ate a shrimp, is that would even be possible!?? ????

I have no idea, and I need your guys help. Thank you in advance! :thanks:

image.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry pic. These little guys are so fast!;))

A Female? How can I tell the gender of a Zebra Danio? :)

Also, there are no other Zebra Danios in the tank, so how could it be eggs? o_O

(I know they need a big tank, but like I said, it was a Craigslist rescue fish.)

Female danios get fat and males are skinny.

Female fish develop eggs when conditions are good (lots of food and warm water). They don't need a male to be present to develop eggs. However, if there are no males in the tank, the females can become egg bound and remain fat for the rest of their life. If they become egg bound they will not be able to breed.

If the fish are kept in cool conditions (15-20C), they don't develop eggs until the water warms up.

So she will not lay the eggs u Lee’s there is a male in the water? Just so you know this is the very first time this has happened. ;)

PheonixKingZ, you should have baby shrimp in that tank by now. I sent you 2 berried females. If you don’t have any then the danio is eating them. Get him out of there if you want your shrimp community to grow. What I sent you should have at least doubled by now which would be about 20. You’re down to 6 shrimp? What’s going on? Do you have questions or need some help?

Female danios get fat and males are skinny.

Female fish develop eggs when conditions are good (lots of food and warm water). They don't need a male to be present to develop eggs. However, if there are no males in the tank, the females can become egg bound and remain fat for the rest of their life. If they become egg bound they will not be able to breed.

If the fish are kept in cool conditions (15-20C), they don't develop eggs until the water warms up.
Females don't need a male. Did you read what the man said? The females just want us to think they do. That's the power they have over us. Shake it off brother men ! Fight the power.

Yes I do need help, they aren’t growing any, and some of them have already died. What am I doing wrong? Water parameters are 100% correct, and the filter has panty hose over the intake. Please help!! :(

Yes I do need help, they aren’t growing any, and some of them have already died. What am I doing wrong? Water parameters are 100% correct, and the filter has panty hose over the intake. Please help!! :(
How much are you feeding? You need to feed 1/2 a wafer a day. Also get some Hikari Crab Cuisine to feed them. Move that danio too. Red cherry shrimp are normally very easy to raise. You won’t keep babies with the danio in there though.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I like species only tanks. Hope you get it squared away before all is lost.

Thank you both, @Deanasue and @Back in the fold. I will move the Zebra Danio ASAP!!

Also, I have been feeding 1 algae wafer every other day, is this ok? :)

P.S.: They also seem super sluggish....-_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back