Fat Gold Zebra Loach is Now Thin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Madiiiiiii

Reaction score
So we recently got two gold zebra loaches, and I noticed one of them had a large belly. After doing some research I came to the conclusion that it might be because it was a female. However, this morning, I woke up to find her as thin as the other one! Could she have been pregnant and layed eggs? She was fat when we put her in the tank, and she is also quite active and healthy. I tried looking at other posts, but none were the same answers. There are four harlequin rasboras and one albino pleco in the tank as well, but I don't think they had anything to do with this. I'm a beginner, so I don't really know too much about have fish. Hopefully someone can help!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the fish and a short video of it.

So... bad news. The loach died a few days ago and I haven't been able to respond. I don't really have any good pictures of her, as fish don't sit the stillest for pictures, and thus they are all blurry. However, if anyone has any idea of why she lost the weight in the span of one night, please tell!

Possibly an internal infection that damaged the fish's intestines and it expelled everything (stomach, intestine) into the tank. It might have been a female that expelled eggs and died due to complications.

It could also be coincidence and there might be other factors like poor water quality that killed the fish.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

It's a good idea to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week if you ever lose a fish. This dilutes anything in the water that might have harmed the fish or been released by the dead fish, and will reduce the risk of the other fish developing the same problem.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank. The best way to do this is to fill up a clean bucket with tap water. Make sure the bucket is only used for fish and nothing else. Add the required amount of dechlorinator to the bucket of water and then aerate the mixture for at least 2 minutes (but preferably 30 minutes or more). Then use that water to fill up the aquarium.

If the tank has been running for more than 2 months then clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

The following link has some information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

Ok sorry I have not been able to respond. To answer your questions, our tank has great quality water and we do vacuum it when we change the water every couple weeks. The tank has been set up since around Christmas, so about a little over a month. We have a well, so according to my dad its clean enough to not need to treat it, although I would prefer we did anyways. Today we found a baby fish in the tank, so I do think she was pregnant and died from complications. I tried to take a pic but fish don't hold still so it's pretty much impossible to see him.

On that note I have a few questions and a correction. After some research, I found out the pet store lied and they were actually yo-yo loaches. Also, I have no idea how to take care of a baby fish and I am wondering how long before he gets out of the fry stage and we can actually see him better. He is in the back hiding in the rocks and plant roots so I can’t reach him to separate him from the other fish (rasboras) and I am afraid he will be sucked into the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back