Fat 'counters Vitamin C Benefits'

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Interesting peice of new news from the BBC website;
"The presence of fat in the stomach may override the anti-cancer effects of vitamin C, research suggests.

In laboratory experiments, a team at the University of Glasgow simulated what happens in the human stomach.

They found vitamin C (ascorbic acid) mopped up potential cancer-causing compounds that are made when saliva and food mixes with stomach acid.

But when they added fat to the mix, the ascorbic acid could no longer convert the hazardous compounds into safe ones.

The scientists say their findings show how diet might be linked to certain stomach cancers";

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6510479.stm

I guess its one more reason why keeping a low fat diet with lots of veg or fruit is good for you :good: .
They say though that vitamin C in fruit and veg is destroyed by heat and the vitamic C content generally lowers with the fruit or veg in questions age after harvesting though which is apparently why stir-frying fresh veg is the best way to cook it- boiling veg is apparently the worst way to cook veg vitamin C loss wise though.

Admittedly though i should probably eat more fruit and veg than what i currently do, i don't often reach that 5 portions of fruit or veg every day target they say you should have. Nothing beats fresh fruit smoothies though- my smoothie machine has to be one of the best kitchen accessories i've bought so far!
What are your fav fruit smoothie recipes- do you have any smoothie recipes that you can share :) ?

I had one for a lychee/stem ginger/gingerbeer mix, but i've no idea where it went, then again as all recipes cater best for individual taste it'd be easy to guess the amounts. Just don't dilute the fruit with too much ginger beer, balance it with some lychee juice from canned lychee ( i know, but i'm too lazy a cook to strip a load of lychee)
Not the healthiest combo but IMHO the tastiest.
A pinch of black pepper makes a welcome addition.
Ps. Anyone know what the plural of lychee is? Lychees?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back