Fat Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, my betta used to be crazy for food. Once I drop those pellets in, he gulps them all up within a few seconds. But lately, he hasn't been very interested with food. When I put the pellet in front of him, he sometimes acts like he doesn't see it and continue swimming. I keep moving the pellet towards his mouth while he is swimming, and eventually, he will eat it. And today, he seems a bit fat. Not THAT fat, but still, his stomach has a slight bulge. Not so big, but big enough to notice when you look at him. And I fed him tonight, and he can only manage to eat one pellet. The other one, he grabbed, but acted as if he couldn't swallow it, and it stayed in his mouth for a few moments, then he spit it out. I looked and his scales are not pineconing. And about his poop. I found a string of it all coiled up in the gravel today. And it was pretty long for a betta, too. Plus, it was light red in color. Is this dropsy? Will it eventually become dropsy? Please help! Is it constipation? What do I do?

It may be that he's just backed up! It's okay to skip a day for feeding, in fact I think it's kind of good for them. But I hear that peas (like green peas) are good for relieving constimapated fish, if that's what the problem is.

And...why did he become constipated in the first place? I feed him bloodworms, but that's like...once every two weeks. Could it be the dry food? Cause he used to eat them as soon as I dropped them into the water. Or could it be that I am overfeeding him? Maybe I should let the pellets get wet and soft first before I let him eat them...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back