Farlowella Requirements

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just a quickie to ask if whiptailed catfish require bogwood in their tank. I'm looking at adding an algae crew, with whiptails being a part of that.

Regards,

WK

They certainly need large resting places to lie on or hang from - and mine always did so on bogwood. So I would say, yes.

Edit: but if you're looking for an algae crew, the only single fish you need is a bristlenose. Even one would suffice - or more if you have room. They can hardly be surpassed.

Thanks for the reply. I've never kept any catfish beyond some ottos so don't know too much about them except some catfish require bogwood to chew on as it contains something they need in their diet.

I must admit to not liking bristlenose catfish. I just don't like the look of them although as superb algae eaters they are always an option. Any other choices? I'd prefer not to have to introduce bogwood if I can get away with it.

Large resting places are not in short supply in my tank. My Amazon Sword is a mighty 60cm tall and still growning! then there's the sides of the tank or plenty of spaces between the plant stem and on the Anubia leaves, some of which are 15cm long in their own right.

WK

In my experience, I'm afraid they don't like resting on Amazon Swords - I had some very large plants too, but they avoided them. They hate the side of the tank too - too exposed. They prefer being eleveated in a horizontal position.
It sounds like your tank is not quite suitable for Farlowella I'm afraid.

Also keep in mind that any algae eater (Ottos aside) is almost certainly going to eat your plants and Amazon swords.
If you don't like the bushy nosed look of the bristlenose, get a female.

I've got a farlowella in with my L333's; he spends a lot of time on the front of the tank as he is very tame (you can even put your hand in and pick him up) but his favourite place is on the air tube! Although they eat algae, they are not very agile and have a bit of trouble getting into tight places. And he never goes on the wood. A bristlenose would be your best bet, maybe an albino? Or one of the many other small ancistrus available.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back