fancy goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I'd love to have 2 or 3 fancy goldfish, but I'm not sure what they would need to be in. When I was 9 I won a goldfish at the fair, took him home & put him in a typical goldfish bowl. Every couple of weeks I'd toss him in a cup, dump the water in his bowl and refill it (straight out the tap, no rocks, no plants, nothing) and dump him back in. Believe it or not, he lived for a little over 3 years that way! Poor Sammy! Now I know better, and I'd like to get a few. (I'm assuming it's better to have 2 or 3 than one, just for company). I love the orandas and bubble-eyes.
What should I put them in, and what kind of filter/air if any do they need?
Sorry so long!

well get a 55 gallon tank kit. That would be good for 4-5 and is cheaper than some of the 30 and 40 set ups.

Do make sure you read up about goldfish though - all goldfish are not "just" goldfish where some have bubble eyes, some have huge heads, some have long tails and some have short stubby tails. As with any particular fish, make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for :nod:

you could do 1-2 smaller species in a 20 gallon, but that really isnt fair to the fish.

Actually I just remembered that walmart sells a 29 gallon tank for 100, and if you live in the US that is good for two of them.

For two goldlfish no less than 30gal, if you wan't three you will need a 40gal, plus an excellent filter, messy big waste producing fish.

well then get that neon tetra you have some friends, lol. I bet he or she is lonely being alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back