Fancy Goldfish Poo

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chris2003

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my two pearlscale goldfish in my 120 litre tank for about 6 months now, and I just cannot get the filters to collect the poo. The problem is with fancy goldfish is that they cant swim well, so heavy flow is not possible as they would not be able to swim against it. I already have two 400l/hr filters however literally no poo gets caught in them and it just floats to the bottom of the tank, and because they are goldfish, there is ALOT of poo. Is there any way of getting the filter to catch it or any other way of getting rid of it without vaccuming everyday? I normally do a water change every week but the poo builds up everyday and I have white sand which does not help!

Thanks

LOL the title, your goldfish has fancy poop. Is it gold plated? :)

just have more water movement around the base and do gravel cleans

LOL the title, your goldfish has fancy poop. Is it gold plated? :)

just have more water movement around the base and do gravel cleans
The only thing is I have sand so water movement at the bottom would move the sand, also pearl scale goldfish are a bit fat so I don’t think they’ll like flow at the bottom

It is the fish keeper's job to remove fish poo. Very few filters will suck it up - they will only suck it all up if the water flow is like a whirlpool.

if the fish poo wasn't so fancy, maybe it would get sucked up.

Hi all, I'm fancy fish poop. I like hanging out in Chris' tank where everyone can see me :)
"Fish poo doing a song and dance routine"

sorry still lolling over the title of this thread :)

Hi all, I'm fancy fish poop. I like hanging out in Chris' tank where everyone can see me :)

The reason why it’s called fancy goldfish poop is because I have fancy goldfish, pearlscales are a type of fancy goldfish. Fancy goldfish are basically any type of goldfish that aren’t comet goldfish:)

Here is an image of the fish tank with the poo, I am experiencing some green water issues which I’m guessing could be caused by the waste

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 224
The green water is from excess light and not enough live plants to use the light.

If you add some Duckweed (floating plant), it will use nutrients, reduce the algae and the fish can eat it, which will benefit them.

You can also grow narrow Vallis, Hygrophila species, Ambulia, and common Amazon sword plants in the tank. These will all help with the algae problem.

If you don't want to add plants, then simply reduce the lighting period.

The green water is from excess light and not enough live plants to use the light.

If you add some Duckweed (floating plant), it will use nutrients, reduce the algae and the fish can eat it, which will benefit them.

You can also grow narrow Vallis, Hygrophila species, Ambulia, and common Amazon sword plants in the tank. These will all help with the algae problem.

If you don't want to add plants, then simply reduce the lighting period.
will do!

Hi! I raise and breed fancy goldfish. Fancies do fine in strong flows. I keep 2 HOB filters on my goldie tanks and never see poo unless they just dropped it. I don’t know who told you no flow but the info is incorrect. With goldies you absolutely have to have good filtration. My choice of filters on my goldie tanks are 1.) Aqua Clear which has 2 flow choices or 2) Penguin Bio Wheels. I always over filter and also use an air stone. Good luck! Here are pics of 2 of my larger tanks. Note: I also clean my tanks once a week with 75% water change and vacuum gravel with a Python vacuum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
Hi! I raise and breed fancy goldfish. Fancies do fine in strong flows. I keep 2 HOB filters on my goldie tanks and never see poo unless they just dropped it. I don’t know who told you no flow but the info is incorrect. With goldies you absolutely have to have good filtration. My choice of filters on my goldie tanks are 1.) Aqua Clear which has 2 flow choices or 2) Penguin Bio Wheels. I always over filter and also use an air stone. Good luck! Here are pics of 2 of my larger tanks. Note: I also clean my tanks once a week with 75% water change and vacuum gravel with a Python vacuum.
I didn’t think fancies did well with high flow because they can only wiggle. Plus, whenever my pearlscales go near the outflow of the two filters, they get pushed away and they look stressed.

I also have white sand which could move with high flow and it highlights the poop instead of gravel

Goldies have high bioloads so it is necessary to have good filtration. If you looked at my pics, you see no poop in my tank. My Goldie’s actually like to swim through the bubbles. I even have one that has a balance issue and she does fine. I never had Pearlscales and they are shaped different. Most important thing is keeping the nitrates in check. What do your nitrates stay at with low filtration?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back