Fair Ground Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just been to the fair,
I saw this... I couldn't believe how some of the poor fish looked all packed into a plastic box.
There should be some sort of animal cruelty law here.

My file is too big! Will have to repost a picture later :)

This has been going on for years and years. Hundreds of petitions have been set up and presented to the government to try and stop it, but all they have done is put into legislation that no one under 16 can "win" a goldfish.

However you can complain to your local council, especially if you have photgraphic evidence of poor conditions, the council then may choose to ban fairgrounds from having fish as prizes or revoke permission for that fairground from setting up on council owned land.

Unfortunately its a fairly common practice at fairgrounds type situations to give out goldfish as "prizes" :/

As star4 already mentions there have a been a few petitions over the years to try and stop this silly practice of giving goldfish, or any live animals for that matter, as prizes and living in poor conditions. 

The local council does have the power to stop it, many in the UK now do have a ban on fairgrounds giving fish away, shropshire and Peterborough I believe have this ban, but it only applies to fairgrounds on council land.

I'm definitely complaining to someone! Even my 10 year old was protesting animal cruelty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 345
That tub is definately inadequate ! contact your local council and (for what they are worth) the RSPCA there is no airline in that tub and far too many fish. Give as many details as possible, if that tub was out in the open in or hidden away, what the ambient temperature was also give the name of the fairground and location. If you call the RSPCA straight away they should go and investigate before the fair moves on.

I've just got in from the fair and I'm going to do something about it now... There were dead fish at the bottom of the tank and the fish in the bags were clearly distressed, it's about 20• today and most of the fish were silent and still at the bottom of the bags, I took video evidence also.
This was the Prestwich carnival in Manchester uk.
You can find its details online, I'm going to call RSPCA now.

Hopefully they will take it seriously, also ring the local council in the morning and if you can e-mail them as an official complaint.

Thanks for you help, I will let you know what happens.
I ended up leaving an email with the RSPCA, it's really difficult to actually speak to someone who will take it seriously. It's my daughters birthday today so I didn't want to spend all day on the phone, but tomorrow morning I will!
It's only a two day fair but luckily I have photographic evidence, going to screen shot the weather forecast now as those poor fish looked like they were boiling in the bags :(

Ugh, poor things!

I really don't see how much they benefit from having fish as prizes at all. Surely just hang a large tacky stuffy animal up there instead. I would certainly steer my children clear of those stalls.

The ones I have seen in the past have had them in big black bins, so somewhat more adequate than you witnessed today.

Good luck on your call tomorrow.

I took my kids over there to show them how awful it was, hopefully that's embedded in them and they will never play any games like that and discourage their friends and one day, their own kids not to play games for fish.

Anyway, I have informed the carnival, the local paper, and the local council.
Hopefully it's going to touch someone enough to do something about it....
Funny how strongly I feel for stuff like this!

Fingers crossed someone takes notice, although sadly there is so much "its just a fish" attitude its hard to get taken seriously when you make complaints.

star4 said:
Fingers crossed someone takes notice, although sadly there is so much "its just a fish" attitude its hard to get taken seriously when you make complaints.
I agree, happily in Australia I've yet to see live animals offered as prizes. The ' it's just a fish ' thinking is very bad. :(

Just finished reading that thread :)

Excellent work and very well done indeed ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back