Failed pond, transitioning into fishtank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Trepano

Reaction score
So I planned to have a balcony-pond. It was 100 lts, about 20 gallons, cycled it. Figured with plants and weekly water changes it would hold 3 golfish. I did throw in some food to help with the cycling but it wasn't an every day thing.

I put in the piggies and all was fine for a while but the water just kept getting greener. I was impossible to handle, even with twice a week water changes and gluteraldehyde (algaecide) the sunlight was just too much. The fish loved it, but it was horrible for me.

I decided to rehome them inside the house... but I don't have a large enough aquarium for them. I put them in with some guppies in a 5 gallon tank. I have 3 tanks now and my girlfriend wants to kill me because i know i have to get them a new large tank now. Alternatively I was thinking in doing an inside pond in a barrel but barrels can get really expensive.

1) Wht do you think? regular tank or inside pond
2) how long can I keep them in the 5 gallon tank?

Attachments

• 45767ac9-ec86-4466-a2a1-97699d995f8b.jpg
    45767ac9-ec86-4466-a2a1-97699d995f8b.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 52
  • e65b8e5f-4870-460f-8bac-61bef7c1de61.jpg
    e65b8e5f-4870-460f-8bac-61bef7c1de61.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1477~2.jpg
    IMG_1477~2.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm pretty sure goldfish can't mix with guppies, but someone else might know more than me.

I'm also pretty sure you need a minimum 55 gallon for goldfish as they get big and are big waste producers. Again, someone else might be able to better answer than me.

I'm pretty sure goldfish can't mix with guppies, but someone else might know more than me.

I'm also pretty sure you need a minimum 55 gallon for goldfish as they get big and are big waste producers. Again, someone else might be able to better answer than me.
THanks for the repply. I believe the water parameters are similar, but goldfish could eat or nip the guppies. The three little piggies I got are very young, so I don't think they will do much harm.

About the size: I am aware goldfish requiere large volumes of water and filtration, the tank they are currently at is just temporary, because i haven't conditioned a new one.
Outside, wil plenty of plants and sunlight, I don't think they would have been exposed to amonia that much. Besides, they are 2-tailed, so they don't need that much space because they don't get that big. I think it is 20 gallons for the first and 10 for each extra, so probably double what they had originally

Goldfish give off a heavy slime that can kill tropical fish, and I killed a 29 gallon full of tropicals by adding 2 fantail goldfish years ago.
Do you know anyone with a larger pond that could maybe take them?

Goldfish give off a heavy slime that can kill tropical fish, and I killed a 29 gallon full of tropicals by adding 2 fantail goldfish years ago.
Do you know anyone with a larger pond that could maybe take them?
Yes. An acquaintance of mine. He told me hes got a pond but it far from the city so whenever he goes there he will take the goldfish.

I hope he is true to his word

Something I wish I knew 20+ years ago when I first started this journey (though the internet wasn't the jewel of information that it is now, back then), is that you can and should research carefully all of your fishes water parameters and needs - before buying them. Seriously, I've made so many stupid mistakes along the way, but just didn't know any better and learned by trial and error - and the fish pay for those lessons with their lives. So, I would say the best thing you can do is google "water parameters for ______________ " <--insert fish name here.

To answer your original question, for now I would put the goldfish back outside in that 100 liter tub. Even with some algae, they'll be much happier and healthier out there. I would also add some floating plants, like hornwort or water lettuce, or even duck weed. That will help reduce the algae and help to clean the water better. You will still have to do water changes, but it should be manageable until you can afford to get a larger indoor aquarium. The guppies should be okay in the 5 gallon if you just have a few of them. They shouldn't be with the goldfish. Good luck fish friend!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back