Fahaka Puffer With Possible White Spot?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LittleL

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just brought a fahaka puffer (Nile Puffer) and whilst i was watching him last night, i noticed that on both of his fins, he has a tiny, pin-prick size white dot on each of them... I can't see any other white dots on him or his fins so im not sure if he has white spot or wether its just a 'feature' of his?

How do i know if he has white spot or not? Also, can usual, commercial white spot meds be used with him or would he be too sensitive to them?

Please help!

Laura

hi, i would like to mention that i am not farmilliar with this particular fish.

a picture showing the spot may help other members identify the spot. if they are symetrical, they may well be a feature.

you may want to isolate the fish from any others in the tank while you work out whats wrong with it.

it would be a good idea to get a definate on the whitespot before trying to treat him, as treating him may do more harm than good if hes not infected, and if you do treat him, a hospital tank would be a good idea. they dont have to be too dear - i picked up a small tank last week for 15 quid so that wasnt too tragic and bodged a filter out of an air pump as described in the hardware and diy section of the forum. add a heater and the damage was about 30 quid. not too bad imo

the white dots are pretty much symetrical on each fin, so it could be a feature.

Im not planning on treating him until im 100% it is white spot.

He is in a tank all on his own (being an aggressive puffer, i wouldn't dare put another fish in with him!)

I'll try to get a picture of it tonight but it's going to be very hard as the white dots are so small...

thanks for the advice anyway

Laura

White spots on puffers fins could just be previous breaks where the fin has healed. 2 of my puffers have white spots on their fins, they never move or multiply.

Keep an eye on the spots if they dont move or multiply or spread to the body I dont think there's much to worry about. If they do start to spread to the body then it could be Ich.

Most reactions

trending

Back