Fahaka Puffer Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Marc West

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello new to this page

My name i Marc, I have been a hobby of aquarium for the last 9 years.

I'm getting my new tank and fahaka puffer next week. Was meant to be getting puffer two weeks later but now it's same day. Want to cycle tank immediately and been told to use Api quick start and Api tap water conditioner. Then add him straight away. Would you say this is OK. I have other aquariums but always cycled naturally

Welcome! Quick start will not cycle your tank. So you will need to do a fishless cycle you can use food or pure ammonia for this.

Use Tetra Safe Start rather than API Quick Start. And take some filter media from your other tanks - if you have several, take some from each one and there should be enough to support two puffers. Persuade the mature mdia to fit in the new filter however you can - sponges can be cut up; ceramic media can be used in a mesh bag.
If you intend live plants, put them in straight away.

Thank you guys, I have green spotted puffers at the moment in another tank. OK I'll get tetra safe start. Its a 200 litre tank and letting him grow into it before getting bigger tank. How much shall I use? Issue I have tank and fahaka coming same time on Wednesday. I have live plants arriving same day too. Just want to make sure he will be OK after around two hours setting tank up.

Use Tetra Safe Start rather than API Quick Start. And take some filter media from your other tanks - if you have several, take some from each one and there should be enough to support two puffers. Persuade the mature mdia to fit in the new filter however you can - sponges can be cut up; ceramic media can be used in a mesh bag.
If you intend live plants, put them in straight away.

Thank you guys, I have green spotted puffers at the moment in another tank. OK I'll get tetra safe start. Its a 200 litre tank and letting him grow into it before getting bigger tank. How much shall I use? Issue I have tank and fahaka coming same time on Wednesday. I have live plants arriving same day too. Just want to make sure he will be OK after around two hours setting tank up. Filters will be fluval 305 and all pond solution ef150

It is safe to take up to one third of the media from a mature tank. If you will be running 2 filters on the new tank, put some media from the other tank's filter into each one, and use some of the new media to replace the old media you take out of the other tank.
Using Tetra Safe Start as well should mean no problems.

It is safe to take up to one third of the media from a mature tank. If you will be running 2 filters on the new tank, put some media from the other tank's filter into each one, and use some of the new media to replace the old media you take out of the other tank.
Using Tetra Safe Start as well should mean no problems.
OK thank you your help, also been told when I do water change in other aquarium use 30% of that water, top up with fresh water and use tetra aqua safe

gsp = green spotted puffer.
And FallenPepper was asking about the salt level in the tank because green spotted puffers do better if kept in slightly brackish water.

Water from another tank will do nothing to help cycle it because the bacteria we need live in the biofilm which is firmly attached to surfaces such as filter media. Also, if you keep the green spotted puffers in brackish water, that shouldn't be used in a tank that houses a fresh water fahaka puffer.
Tetra Aqua Safe is a dechlorinator/water conditioner and these should be used to treat any new water added to a fish tank. It doesn't have to be Tetra Aqua Safe, any water conditioner which removes chlorine and binds metals can be used.

My GSP area till in freshwater as still very very young will be changing gradually to brackish prob in 2 months time. Thank you all for your help. I will use some aquarium water in filters along with mature media and new to help cycle. And use tetra aqua safe and safe start. Just unfortunat they arriving same day as I selected 3 weeks apart

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back