faded neon tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fly258

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my neon tetras is very pale and faded and has been for the last 3 weeks. It appears to be healthy in every other respect, swimming with the rest of the gang and eating OK.
Ammonia and nitrIte zero, nitrAte 10ppm, ph 7.5.
Any ideas any one?
Many thanks,
Jim

I found that my neons faded a week or so before they went to "the great aquarium in the sky". Their colour faded and slowly they just seemed to fade away :-( :sad: Sorry I can't give you any more info than that.

Look up neon tetra disease on the net mate, fadeing colour is a classic symptom

-HTH

Neon Tetra Disease
Neon Disease is caused by a parasitic single called organism called Pleistophora hyphessobryconis. The cell, releases millions of spores in to the water during reproduction. The spores are consumed with food by the fish where they then enter the intestine. The spores grow and replace the muscle fibers weakening the fish. If an infected fish becomes wounded or dies, the spores can escape and infect a new host.
Symptoms: Pale white patches appear under the skin beneath the dorsal fin. The fish also becomes emaciated and may swim erratically.
Treatment: Commercial remedies are usually ineffective as by the time diagnosis is confirmed the fish is too weak to be saved.

Doh, i keep forgetting about my article -_- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :huh:

Neons losing there colour points to either pour water conditions which from you post waters fine so that rules that out, stress is a possibility is the tetra being bullied by any other tank members??

Neon tetra desease: as william said with this the fish will also swim eratically again in your post you say its swimming fine so again we could rule this out. Just incase it might be worth quarentining the fish to prevent it being passed on. There is no remedy available from your lfs but a vetinary presribed drug can help but i cant remember the name Sorry, also the cost of this is prohibitive.

But the most likely cause is as has already been said old age,

whacky said:
Neon tetra desease: as william said with this the fish will also swim eratically again in your post you say its swimming fine so again we could rule this out.
Sorry mate but i disagree, even if fish doesnt have all of the symptoms of a particular disease, doesnt mean it doesnt have it.

Thanks for all the ifo chaps / chapesses, it looks like I need to send the little soul to meet its maker a bit prematurely :/
The next question is......has anyone any tips on how to catch him??. Iv'e just spent the last 20 mins trying to catch him and had to give up in case I stressed the rest of the inhabitants :unsure: My tank is heavily planted and he is a rather nippy li'l critter :sad:
Regards
Jim

sticklebackRkool said:
Sorry mate but i disagree, even if fish doesnt have all of the symptoms of a particular disease, doesnt mean it doesnt have it.
Indeed stix but as neon tetra desease attacks the muscles of the infected fish it would be expected ater having the disease for three weeks

I had exactly the same same symptoms with a few of my neons as you have with your one, fly, and within a couple of weeks i had lost my whole lot. I think it was neon disease...

Just to warn you i have been told that the disease remains in the tank until up to a month or so after the last potentially diseased fish has hung up his fins, so be wary of restocking with more neons- i have done this and promtly lost them to the same symptoms!..not a good idea..i guess you live and learn!

Good luck with them B)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back