Eyes Bulging

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rubberdubber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was going to put this into emergencies but thought someone here may have more of an idea.
I have in my tank a number of community fish, guppies, platies, keyhole cichlids, and rummynose tetras along with peppered and bronze cory.
last week one of the bronze suddenly had both eyes bulging, he was feeding and as active as normal, unfortunatly I did not see this until late at night and the next morning he had died.
I tested the water all fine with this. no other fish have a problem and everything is still good a week later. He had been in the tank for 6 to 8 weeks and no others had been added since.
Anything to look out for, or was it as a nother fish shop said, just one of those things he must have just had something wrong internal.

Bulging eyes is called popeye and is caused by bacterial infection. It usually comes from water quality and is usually treatable. When I say water quality, I do not necessarily mean ammonia and nitrite, but dirty water. Since Cories live on the bottom they are suseptible to bacteria that can get into the substrate from uneaten food and other waste. We usually hear about infected barbells, but popeye is an early sign of a troubled tank.

Let me hasten to add that if a fish is old or weak it can get sick from ever present culprits, just like us. Still if you have not done so recently, give the substrate a good vaucum and all the plants etc a good shake and vacum.

Another thing that can cause problems is stress from a tank that is too active and does not offer enough territories for all the variety of fish. The fish will feel threatened with no place to retreat to and their immune systems will become compromised.

Your tank is very active and some of your fish are nippy. It is necessary to provide retreats and hiddy spots for everyone. Cories are peaceful and easily stressed.

Perhaps you have taken all this into account and none of it applies, but these are the first things (after water testing) that must be addressed.

Thank you for your reply, very useful.
I do have alot of hiding places alot of plants and vac the sand at least once a week.
From what you say it must be this infection and just bad luck that he got this infection from something, do you think it could have been the bog wood that is still leaching some tannings. The water is clear now but just has a fine tinge to it. I am doing regular water changes to combat this.

I may just be ignorant, but I have not heard that the tannins are a problem. Some don't like the look, but that's all I've ever heard. The tannins soften the water, but most Cories like that. If the source of the bog wood is questionable and wasn't sterile, that could introduce a problem.

Bacteria is always present in small amounts, I believe. Problems occur when the fish's immunity is compromised, often by stress; a particularly virile strain is introduced; or water quality and sickness increase the bacterial or viral load.

How is the fish doing?

There has been no other problems with any other fish and water srill good.
I think this may have been a very unlucky individual.
Thank you for your input.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back