extremely ill catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JacopoFishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
have the corydora in a temporary plastic bucket, just wanted to get him away from the other fish as fast as I could. so, he's in his own space within the tank so that his water is still heated and everything.

moved him with generic green net
gave him some stress coat

extremely fast breathing
lying on one side
can swim a little if he has to, when he does, he spins. awkward movement
bulging eyes
no evidence of white spot, ick, fin rot, or fungus

upon furthur examination, his "whiskers" have deteriorated down to stubs
right now he is on his stomach in his bucket, not his side
his eyes may not be bulging, maybe normal? hard to tell
if they are bulging, it is not too extreme
eyes appear to be of equal size, and both are dark
other fish in tank appear to be perfectly healthy

very sensitive to vibrations
(my tank is atop a dresser, when gently closing a drawer, he swims around a bit immediately in response)

swim bladder disease? popeye?

NOTE: the last fish to die in the tank died of popeye, about a month and a half ago.

:byebye:

What are your water stats like ammonia/nitrate/nitrite and when was the last time you checked them?
If his eyes are bulging/cloudy it sounds like he has pop eye coming on but is not not difficult to treat, i would use "anti internal bacteria" by interpet to do that.
It is very important you find out your water stats as all these symptoms indicate somthing is amiss there.
Pop eye and swim bladder disorders are not very infectious deseases and any fish who are going to get will probably do anyway wether he is in the tank or not so i would move him back.
Swim bladder disoreders are usually associated with the fsih not being able tomaintain balance very well i.e fish is finding it difficult to stay upright when swimming or otherwise.
How long has the tank been set up for and does it have gravel or sand in it?

the tank has been set up since late august of 2004
I have gravel in it and do regular gravel vac cleanings
I separated him mostly for the sake of keeping the other fish from bugging him...
I don't want them pecking at him or anything, as they tend to do that :/
I had a balloon molly die of swim bladder in the fall, so yea, I know what it looks like

it seems as if his left pectoral fin is...for lack of better word, paralyzed.
it just remains flat against his side and doesn't move.
that would explain the spinning and lack of movement...

tried getting him to eat, he didn't appear very interested

He sounds like he has a clamped fin and that might account for the swimming issue. He's obviously stressed but I really do think an antibiotic (for the popeye) will do the trick. Good luck!

It's not sounding good at all, i would use an antibiotic with his whiskers but he is heavy breathing so the med isn't going to help, are his gill red and inflamed, can you post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

Sorry for your loss, R.I.P.

Sorry for your loss.
I had just typed up a nice big post on treatments to try, but I guess it was too late.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
The little finned guys are so hard to say good bye to.
:(

I was told by my lfs that pop eyes could be a sign (form) of dropsy and basically due to renal failure - which is cause by bad water conditions :crazy: just a thought.....

:rip: I am sorry. That makes me want to go see my cories. I am at school though...:-(

bloozoo2 said:
I was told by my lfs that pop eyes could be a sign (form) of dropsy and basically due to renal failure - which is cause by bad water conditions :crazy: just a thought.....
yea, when I checked my water parameters they were fine with the exception of a high pH. that might have been it, or contributed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back