Extremely Aggressive Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OscarCichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Asn you can see in my sig i have gouramis, cichlids, and catsfish. The Cichlids have been fighting pretty bad so i moved my Albino Mbuno to my 55 gallon Gourami Tank(Now i feel horrible that i did). He wasnt beat up real bad but i figured i would give him a break from the Convict. Well this morning i woke up to find him dead on the bottom of the tank with a huge hole in his side. I now feel horrible that i moved him. If i left him he owuld have been a little beat up but still alive. I made a very wrong decision but i am also a little confused. Arent cichlids the most aggressive fresh water fish?? Arent Gouramis supposed to be rather peaceful?? If they can kill a cichlid, what can i put with them??

LOL never ever underestimate gouramis people may think they are peaceful but if threatened something might happen. gouramis are fierce fighters. What type of gourami? Sorry about the death. :( Some gouramis are like that.

OscarCichlid said:
Asn you can see in my sig i have gouramis, cichlids, and catsfish. The Cichlids have been fighting pretty bad so i moved my Albino Mbuno to my 55 gallon Gourami Tank(Now i feel horrible that i did). He wasnt beat up real bad but i figured i would give him a break from the Convict. Well this morning i woke up to find him dead on the bottom of the tank with a huge hole in his side. I now feel horrible that i moved him. If i left him he owuld have been a little beat up but still alive. I made a very wrong decision but i am also a little confused. Arent cichlids the most aggressive fresh water fish?? Arent Gouramis supposed to be rather peaceful?? If they can kill a cichlid, what can i put with them??
Why did u do that u should have been more responsible. Why would you put a baet up fish in a gourami tank Gouramies are sometimes more agressive than cichilds when a gourami is feeling traten he will fight back. Especially if he was a Pearl or the most agressive gouarami the KISSING one. Im sorry to hear that those fish died but it was ur fault. If u take a fish who likes fighting and put him with an agressive fish what do u think the fighting fish would do. ATTACK the gourami did what he had to do. If u dont got the skills to have gouaramis dont own them. They might look peaceful and sweet but they got a demon inside waiting to comeout.

55- there isnt a reason to attack Oscar..he made a mistake and didnt have the right knowledge about the fish. Even though it amounted to a dead fish, you learn from your mistakes and I'm sure he feels bad. I would just suggest from now on just research these kinds of fish more so it doesnt happen again. sorry about the death :sad:

bittersweet said:
55- there isnt a reason to attack Oscar..he made a mistake and didnt have the right knowledge about the fish. Even though it amounted to a dead fish, you learn from your mistakes and I'm sure he feels bad. I would just suggest from now on just research these kinds of fish more so it doesnt happen again. sorry about the death :sad:
I nkow what u mean. but it gets me mad when people buy fish and dont know squad about them

55gallondude @ Mar 2 2004 said:
I nkow what u mean. but it gets me mad when people buy fish and dont know squad about them
When someone screws up, it makes you mad because you don't like to see fish suffer. Then wouldn't the better reaction be to show some understanding and share with them the information that they need to not make as many mistakes? Seems that's more likely to cause fewer fish to suffer than lashing out at the person and making them defensive.

But I'm a newbie, what do I know?

hey ask everyone who has a gourami and i bet atleast half wouldn't knwthat. It doesn't say that in research. You have to learn from experience also. I can tell by surrounding text that oscar must have known something to know that cichilds are aggressive. Plus different gouramis have different personalities. He just got a aggro one. U don't know if he knows squat on them i bet he knows somethings. I personally feel scared sortof if someone attacks me about my fish and say sorry so instead give the person advice. It makes them feel better..

Hey guys, thanks for defending me. I did do research before on this very message board. I got some bad info saying that the cichlid would be fine in there. O and by the way 55gallondude, a man/women with 2 channel catfish in a 20 gallon tank should not be saying that i have no knowledge. Maybe it makes me mad to see that those fish are in such a small tank. Even small channel cats love alot of swiming room to be happy. I also noticed that you have a Dwarf Gourami in with your larger gouramis. Thats a disaster waiting to happen. So before you insult my intelligence maybe you should examine your own. And if you read my post you would have seen that i stated i made a very horible mistake, and that i do feel horible. I feel bad enough as it is without you jumping down my throught.
And the gouramis in the tank are 2 Blue 1 Gold 1 Opaline and 1 Paradise.

yea well lets just say that also i might have made the same mistake. And i love gouramis. Plus the advice u got wasn't bad it's just u got a aggressive gourami personality. Perhaps the cichild attacked first and as a gourami would do attack it. What kind of gourami was it. Plus 55 gallon dude not to get on ur back but unless you have one of the best filters like an emperor new version i don't think u'll have enuff tank space and u'll be needing to move some fish. Not to make u mad or anything 55gallondude but u should chill out sometimes. If we did this all the time there would probably be no members gone off to another forum because of lack of sympathy.

Edit-Sorry ur right i shouldn't have went on into ur business.

Ok No hard feelings Im just saying if u dont know fish and how they act. Dont buy them ok. Andif u are trying to get in my bussiness and make this a personal matter u tell me okay. Just cause u came back dont make u nobody to tell me what to do okay fishdude.

Ok first of all my channels are healthy more than that there young. I just got them this summer cause they had hooks up there lips so i took the home and fixed them up ok. The chicago river is 1 mile away from my house okay im taking them back when the weather around here gets warmer. And as for my dwarf u shouldnt alright he hangs around with all the gouramies I bought my gouramies young and small they all know eachother okay. So u better just shut up okay im just trying to help you here and this is how they pay when u help.

P.S dont feel bad for my fish

Taking a fish from a river is probably the worst thing you can do. If they are young they will grow up in your tank you will not be able to tolerate the cold weather next winter and might not even know what to eat. If you reintroduce the to the wild they will most likely die. And as for the dwarf, i had the same thing in my tank. There used to be a dwarf gourami and a giant gourami. Until of couse the full sized gouramis massacred my tank.I dont know how long you have been keeping gouramis but eventually when they are full grown they will need alot more territory. 2 blue gold or opaline is really the max for a 55 gallon tank.

I would also like to know what kind of filter you are using because you have that tank way overstocked. And a so-called gourami expert such as yourself should know that an overstocked gourami tank cant be good for anyone.

All right first of all u dont know JACK S*** okay im tired of ur crap okay u dont tell me what to do okay just cause ur dman fish died i dont give a rats *** okay so u better stop this crap U dont tell me what to do okay. Heres a tip take this quarter and shuv it sraight up youres okay.

My my my what a bad temper... I think you may have been swallowing too much fish water.. Such vile language!!!!

This topic is done. This flaming shouldn't go on plus we are the friendliest forum around. Please stop and forget about this. :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Back