Extreme Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nmonks

A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from
Reaction score
I thought I'd share a couple of experiences.

Last year I put my Corydoras paleatus in my plastic garden pond. To help give them some cover, I put in some excess plants from my aquaria. The fish came in during the autumn, but I left the plants out as food for the snails and shrimps in the pond. Anyway, pond freezes over as you'd imagine. The Acorus, Ceratophyllum, and Eleocharis were fine in the pond, as you'd suppose being coldwater plants, but a real surprise was finding vigourously growing Rotala when the weather warmed up. I was really surprised by this because this species had done rubbish in my aquaria!

A month or so back I went off to a leaving party someplace I used to work. Languishing in a dim corner of the room was an old fish tank I'd set up back in the day. No fish were left, no lights and no filter either. It was basically abandoned except that someone topped it up with water every once in a while, assuming there *must* be something in there. Anyway, the only life form in there (apart from bacteria) was an Anubias. Still alive. Here's the thing... it had basically been living in almost complete shade for at least two years according to the people there. I've brought it home and it's settled into a proper aquarium and it seems very happy.

Some plants are, I guess, real survivors.

Cheers, Neale

guess your right, obviously just wanted to live :)

I have had a similar experience but with Hygrophila polysperma, I hate throwing plants away so left it in an outdoor bucket and left it there floating in the winter, a month or so ago it was still there floating. My amazon frogbit, considered a warmer plant species has also survived and has now began to sprout new leaves. I think they go into a sort of dormancy, but just don't quite die.

Most reactions

Back