External heater?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Andyhaigh85

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm upgrading my tank and also buying 2 fx6 filters which means I will be loosing my oase thermo with the built in heater.

I would possibly like to keep an external heater. Do fluval do an in line heater external?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome?

How big is the tank?

You are better off having proper aquarium heaters in the tank so they heat the water.

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question directly but for a tank that size have you not just considered ditching filters all together and putting in a sump? Will be cheaper and more effective than the filters and you can then just stick some normal heaters in there.

That's a good size tank :)

I would look at getting a couple of 300 watt heaters to go inside the tank. You should insulate the base, back and sides of the tank with 1-2 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets. And have a 6 mm thick coverglass on top of the tank to reduce heat loss and evaporation.

Yes
Sorry this doesn't really answer your question directly but for a tank that size have you not just considered ditching filters all together and putting in a sump? Will be cheaper and more effective than the filters and you can then just stick some normal heaters in there.
Appreciate your ideas but definitely want to stick to filters. Not really room for a decent sump.

Hi guys I'm upgrading my tank and also buying 2 fx6 filters which means I will be loosing my oase thermo with the built in heater.

I would possibly like to keep an external heater. Do fluval do an in line heater external?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome?
To answer the question directly, there are no in-line heaters compatible with an FX6 (or an FX4 for that matter). Even Fluval's own in-line products (like their "UV clarifier") don't fit the FX range.

I have seen a couple of posts on the internet where people have tried to splice together standard filter hose with the FX hose to enable in-line equipment but (a) seems very risky and (b) looks awful.

I personally hate in-line heaters anyway. My personal experience is that they're ineffective compared to an in-tank heater and cost more to run as a result.

(Out of interest, you're not putting both FX6s on a 600-800l are you?!)

Yes

Appreciate your ideas but definitely want to stick to filters. Not really room for a decent sump.
I'm thinking sump as well for a 125g, but only as a platform for a algae scrubber. Anyway, I swapped in a hygger PTC heater 800w. It's been plumbed since 1/1, and is functioning well so far. It isn't an inline heater, but to a hardware man it's gorgeous AND functional. I'm currently running an FX6 and a FX4, BTW.

To answer the question directly, there are no in-line heaters compatible with an FX6 (or an FX4 for that matter). Even Fluval's own in-line products (like their "UV clarifier") don't fit the FX range.

I have seen a couple of posts on the internet where people have tried to splice together standard filter hose with the FX hose to enable in-line equipment but (a) seems very risky and (b) looks awful.

I personally hate in-line heaters anyway. My personal experience is that they're ineffective compared to an in-tank heater and cost more to run as a result.

(Out of interest, you're not putting both FX6s on a 600-800l are you?!)
Yes been advised by Wills that's what I need. I've got big cichlids and siamese tiger fish to contend with!

Need x2 fx6 to keep these boys happy once fully grown.

Attachments

• 20220107_191503.jpg
    20220107_191503.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 43

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back