External Heater or Heating Pad suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Electro

Reaction score
Hi,

We've some experience with larger tanks and normal heaters but, my daughter has setup a smaller tank (3 gallons) that can be seen from all sides. It's quite the work of art, both inside and out with plants, and fish. A few guppies and a loach.

There is no air pump or water filtration system. Much like a Beta tank.
She really doesn't want to have wires or tubes hanging out of the tank and is changing the water as needed.

I've seen some reptile pads on sale out there. How best to use these to control the heat in a fish tank? Don't want to boil them! Is there a product recommendation?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t recommend this as the thermostat on those work on external temperature, not water temp. She can add lots of plants to back of tank to hide wires or she can add a backing to the tank (which I personally do not like but others do.). Betta tanks should have filters and heaters if the owner knows what they are doing. When you see pics of bettas in vases this is totally wrong. A betta needs a water temp of 79 - 82F. I keep all of mine at 80F. You can buy small flat aquarium heaters for small tanks. Good luck and glad your daughter is interested in the hobby!

In a 3 gallon tank with guppies and a loach changing the water as needed would mean around 4 times per day. That really is not a suitable sized home for fish. She may well be better off with a plant tank.

Can I please recommend that your daughter rehomes the loach. I cannot think of any loach species that is suitable for a 3 gallon tank. And most loaches need to be in a group as they are very sociable fish.

Thanks all for your replies. We'll go with a small heater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back