External Ehiem Canister Filter

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
Hey Peepz, B)

I've got an external canister filter that I have been using for my freshwater tank and I've decided to use it for a saltwater filter. The filter currently has a carbon pad, cotton media, filter sponge, those rock thingys and ceramic rings. As that was for freshwater, filtration for saltwater has different mechanics so from some research the marine tank would benefit more from different media to become less of a nitrate factory. I was wondering what would be the best media that the saltwater tank would benefit the most from. I was thinking of keeping the ceramic rings and filling the rest of the canister with live rock and lighting (I've got a small 12 inch fluorescent power glo light from my nano that I could use). Any other ideas? Thanks in Advance. :)

Best thing to do is to fill it with live rock, or leave just enough space to put in some chemical media like carbon or phosban.

I had that initially in mind, would probably mostly just fill with live rock, tnx for that andy. :thumbs:

Filling it with live rock would virtually make it a sump, no?

I spose since I'm lighting it, it'd be something of a mini fuge, thanks for input pt'z. :D

Agree with andy. Whack it full of LR rubble which should suit nicely, and a single cartridge for chemical filtration like phosphate remover or carbon.

It wouldn't make it like a sump as it wouldn't have the same sort of volume as a sump, nor the acces to the air to help with gas exchange. Finally, it would not be esay to hide equipment such as heaters and skimmers in there.

(And most people run more than just live rock in the sump, using macroalgae and the like for better nutrient export).

Now that would be cool....someone designing a canister filter which housed a skimmer. Base this on a Eheim Thermo which already has a heater, it would be great for a nano.

Not sure how it could work, but great idea!

Now that would be cool....someone designing a canister filter which housed a skimmer. Base this on a Eheim Thermo which already has a heater, it would be great for a nano.

Not sure how it could work, but great idea!

Cool idea, but hellish hard with the presure differential. I don't see how it could work...

As for the canister, I would run it empty. The goal for many reef systems is to remove suspended junk before it has the chance to break down. That's why we invest so much in skimmers. By jamming the filter full of live rock, you're practically guaranteeing that the filter will fill up with all sorts. And it would be a right pain to clean it out.

I'd run the filter empty, or stick chemical media in it. Another option which has been bandied about before is to use a canister to make a deep-sand-bed-in-a-bucket. Anthony Calfo as a great proponent of these.

John

yea the pressure differental would be a problem it would have to be sealed to keep the pressure the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back