The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

damanax

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Ā 
I'm looking at getting an external canister filter for my 200l tank. Currently I've got an internal Fluval filter in there which is all the LFS here has. I'll be able to go to a few fish shops when I go on holiday in 2 weeks and I was wondering what kind of brand/model I should look into.
Ā 
- I've heard good things about Eheim filters but they're way too dear.
Ā 
- Ā Is the Fluval 406 Canister Filter any good?
Ā 
- This tank is currently very understocked with only a single male betta. However, it will be fully stocked eventually and I'd like a filter that could handle a larger tank.
Ā 
- Water movement is not a concern.
Ā 
I have looked online but some of the information is confusing/conflicting. Any help is appreciatedĀ 
tongue2.gif

I use a 405 on my 350L tank....so Ā a 406 should easily do a 200L :)
Ā 
Personally the Fluval was expensive, and while i cant fault it when running, i absolutely detest when have to do maintenance on it. It is a mongrel thing to reprime and is prone to breaking the impeller covers.
Ā 
I have Eheim, its is a good filter, wasnt expensive for me as i bought it second hand, but if i had to buy new, out of my price range too
Ā 
I have an AquaOne, again a good canister, but you need to buy it at least 1 upgrade above the size tank they say it will run (i'd be inclined to go 2 above)
Ā 
I have a SunSun, this is the cheapest one to buy i own, bought it online, arrived the next day, and it has been an absolute treat, has not missed a beat in the 2yrs i've had it and still running no probs
Ā 
! have bought an Aleas canister and a Finnex (i think it is) - not set up yet so cant reveiw

Sorry but going to give more conflicting advice, I run a 206 and a 306 on my two aquariums 125L and 200L respectively, never had a squeak of trouble, impeller covers simple to remove and easy to clean, as for priming if you follow the installation instructions andĀ keep theĀ hoses as short as possible with no excessive bends you will find that the filter actually self primes, the check ball in the intake strainer and the swan neck outflow both maintain a active siphon by keeping theĀ hoses full of water, all you need do is maintain the water level in the aquarium when re filling the canister and you won't need to touch the primer unit at all, but even if you loose the water within the hoses in my experience the priming unit functions well.

Thats great yours are like that. I know how to set it up properly, none of the other canisters i have give me these problems. So I can only go on what mine is like, and i will never have another one.....ever!

Yes I suppose we all have individual experience both good and some bad with similar products, and no doubt that's why there are so many conflicting reviews, whereas you won't buy another the reason I bought the 306 when I got the 200L was that the 206 worked without fault.

I have had fluval filters, 203, 305 and 405, I find the ribbed hoses a right pain as they are forever trapping gunk, and cleaning them can be a headache and they will leak if water has collected around the edge. The plastic shut off valve is also really easy to break, if you did go for a fluval I would recommend greasing it up (you can use vasaline) regularly to stop it snapping.
Ā 
I have now changed to all APS filters (similar if not same make as sun sun) the parts are cheap, they are easy to work on and do a great job.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Doesn't make it any easier to choose but it helps all the same
yes.gif

Ā 
I can't seem to find APS or Sun Sun filters when I look them up? They might just not be common in Australia?
Ā 
I'm not after a filter with UV either which cuts a few others out. I'm happy to shell out a decent amount of $$$ for a good filter, which is why I was looking into Eheim. Who knows, the price of them in the cities might seem much more reasonable? Oh boy, do I have a lot of thinking to do
whistling.gif

i've an eheim 2213 and 2217 and i can't fault them

I have a 260ltr tank with over 60 tetras. I run an Aquamanta 300 external filter. The cost new is less than Ā£100 and it works very well. Its easy to clean, replacement parts from LFS are easily obtainable & piming it after removal is simple.
All in all a good external filter.

I had a ehiem 2213 and 2215 (I think) on my rio 180.

Never had any trouble with them the only nuisance was getting them to prime if I had cleaned out all the pipe work.

marcandnic said:
I had a ehiem 2213 and 2215 (I think) on my rio 180.

Never had any trouble with them the only nuisance was getting them to prime if I had cleaned out all the pipe work.
Ā i found easy to prime just making sure one end was in the tank under water and siphon into bucket when water was running close off tap the attach back to filter 2 minutes easy job. if you do go for eheim just make sure you get the inline taps makes it sooooooooo easy.
Then once you have water in the pipes you never have to worry again , when attached back to filter open taps waters running in and out again fine every time it really is easy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back