"Experience" clearly DOES NOT equate to knowledge!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the thing though, we do our best to give the correct advice and help, but in a moment of distraction can easily slip in a wrong word …I wonder how many times nitrites and nitrates get muddled…?
It happens, I know I've typed one when I meant the other before, it's easy to do when you're trying to cover a lot of ground especially, and you're not proof-reading.

I'm sorry I can't think of a single person on this forum that gives advice to others that doesn't understand the nitrogen cycle and basic fish welfare. I haven't read anybody say they are overstocking. (jhave you seen the youtube videos - these are sellers for the most part but they constantly overstock - putting 50 fish in 10 gallon tank - because they are going to sell them. Are you talking about people that pretend to be experienced but make the same mistakes over and over? I'm not experienced, but that would be me - I continue to over-feed my fish which in turn causes water issues. I just can't stop putting food in until I see that every fish or creature has eaten something, I know the nitrogen cycle in my sleep but have counseled people on how to help their fish survive when they've added them without their tank being cycled. In fact I just did it myself when a company I purchased fish from sent me 2 Betta and I had only one 5 gallon Betta tank. Had to go out and buy another tank, filter and heater and add bacteria and other chemicals to throw it into cycling while it had a fish in it. Unlike many of the videos I see on youtube.com I DON't believe in cycling a tank with live fish unless it's too late and that's what you have already started doing, I don't think you were talking about me because I'm usually asking for advice, not giving it - so I think if you are going to state this stuff is happening you need to confront the ones you believe are guilty. I don't always agree with all the advice I am given (I'm not a complete idiot" but there are certainly several people whose opinion I trust - even if I don't always follow their advice - most of the time I do. If you are not going to confront people you believe are giving bad advice, then there is no point in posting what you just posted. Nobody with think you are talking about them so nothing will change. Remember that song "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you" - do you know how many male rock stars insisted it was about them (like Mick Jagger) - in this case we'll have just the opposite and nobody that thinks it's about them.
Love your African Grey!

It's a good thing to talk about one's frustration. And there's room for that overhere. But even a frustration can be put in the open in a non-harsh way. Looking at all the replies within this topic, we can say that we do agree on that. In my opinion, people are allowed to make mistakes. As long as they'll learn from it, it it will be okay. To use the word "experienced", I'm an experienced aquarist as well. But I won't be hypocrite to say that all I've done throughout the years in this field has been flawless. Also I've learned from my mistakes. We also have to accept that experiences can be different among aquarists. With a lot of issues, there's not just one solution. Being passionate about aquaristics, does not mean that one is entitled to be harsh on somebody else when a mistake has been made. I've read it quite often at other forums and even on Facebook, that people use their passion as a justification to be so hard on somebody. And oh yes for sure, there are enough people who put themselves on a pedestal as being the ultimate fish expert or aquarium expert. I myself am a seasoned aquarist but even I still learn every single day. I would rather use the term "well-experienced aquarist" rather than "expert'. For this still says, that one is still not at the top of the mountain.

And yes, there are indeed people who just won't accept a good advice. if that goes on and on, I'd stop to engage with such people. For that does indicate that they're not willing to change their view on things. And yes, that might cost lives of fish but one can not stop that from happening unless you know where those people live (😉). And for sure, it would be better for them to change their hobby... As long as there are people walking around on this globe, difference in opinion will always be there...

It's a good thing to talk about one's frustration. And there's room for that overhere. But even a frustration can be put in the open in a non-harsh way. Looking at all the replies within this topic, we can say that we do agree on that. In my opinion, people are allowed to make mistakes. As long as they'll learn from it, it it will be okay. To use the word "experienced", I'm an experienced aquarist as well. But I won't be hypocrite to say that all I've done throughout the years in this field has been flawless. Also I've learned from my mistakes. We also have to accept that experiences can be different among aquarists. With a lot of issues, there's not just one solution. Being passionate about aquaristics, does not mean that one is entitled to be harsh on somebody else when a mistake has been made. I've read it quite often at other forums and even on Facebook, that people use their passion as a justification to be so hard on somebody. And oh yes for sure, there are enough people who put themselves on a pedestal as being the ultimate fish expert or aquarium expert. I myself am a seasoned aquarist but even I still learn every single day. I would rather use the term "well-experienced aquarist" rather than "expert'. For this still says, that one is still not at the top of the mountain.

And yes, there are indeed people who just won't accept a good advice. if that goes on and on, I'd stop to engage with such people. For that does indicate that they're not willing to change their view on things. And yes, that might cost lives of fish but one can not stop that from happening unless you know where those people live (😉). And for sure, it would be better for them to change their hobby... As long as there are people walking around on this globe, difference in opinion will always be there...
👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Experience can mean different things. Experience could mean that you have a singular fish tank, and have had It for 2 months, yet you are ’experienced‘ in certain ways. I think you are directing this thread towards me. Nobody on this forum doesn’t have experience in some way. Everyone (or most people that consistently visit this site) know basic fish stuff. Nobody runs there mouths about things they don’t know. Don’t complain about this Forum. What did you want us to say? “Omg, yes. Half the people on here are dumb fish keepers and don‘t know anything”. Because honestly, this is not a great spot to complain about fish keepers being inexperienced.

Well, still. There isn’t a place on here to complain about members knowledge. People on here come here to learn, and to teach. Lets keep it to that

I'll leave it to the Admin/Mod Team to tell us what can and cannot be posted.

Yes, this is - allowed - to be posted, but it isn't something everyone will like.
Without any specific references it's merely a generalized rant like parroted myths that become hobby pseudo truths, or LFS employees giving poor advice to sell more fish and/or products.
Of course 'experienced' is a subjective term. Some that have been in the hobby a few months or a year may feel they're 'experienced'. With 50+ years in the hobby I feel 'experienced', but also know that the more I've learned, the more I realize that there's still more to learn. And yes, I've made mistakes over the years and had fish die...'stuff' happens. :)

Without any specific references it's merely a generalized rant like parroted myths that become hobby pseudo truths, or LFS employees giving poor advice to sell more fish and/or products.
Of course 'experienced' is a subjective term. Some that have been in the hobby a few months or a year may feel they're 'experienced'. With 50+ years in the hobby I feel 'experienced', but also know that the more I've learned, the more I realize that there's still more to learn. And yes, I've made mistakes over the years and had fish die...'stuff' happens. :)
It could be unfair on individual members to cite specific examples, so I won't.
There are, on this Forum and others, members of long-standing, with access to all manner of accurate and useful information and who still repeatedly post the same questions and who, when given the info, disregard it. These are rarely newbies to the hobby and, more often than not, are alleged to have years of experience behind them.

This thread isn't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back