Exo Terra Silk Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1L19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In speccing out my new plant-less tank I came across a couple from Hagen/Exo Terra that are nice looking but made for reptile tanks. I sent them an email to see if they were safe to use in an aquarium and the answer was basically "no". Just wanted to put this up here in case anyone is curious. For reference Hagen/Marina makes some very nice silk plants and most of what I'll be using will fall under that brand or biOrb

* * * * Communication Below* * * *

From: US Consumer Service Email to Case [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2022 6:50 AM
To: <redacted>
Subject: RE: New Case 00275582 Created

Dear Daniel,

We thank you for taking the time to contact us. Unfortunetly we do not recommend them for use in aquariums as they have not all been tested for that application.

Thank you,
Andrew Cray
Customer Service

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 3/1/2022 7:43 PM
To: <redacted>
Subject: New Case 00275582 Created

Thank you for reaching out to us. The following case has been created. Kindly use these case details for future reference.

Case # 00275582.

Case Information
Date Opened: 01/03/2022
Case #: 00275582

Subject: Exo Terra Silk Plants in a Freshwater Aquarium
Description:
Exo Terra makes some amazing looking silk plants and I'd love to use some in my aquarium. Are the plants safe for use in a freshwater aquarium. Untreated, won't come apart underwater... that sort of thing. If they are you will soon be getting a nice chunk of my money.

Thank you!

We will respond as soon as possible. If you have additional comments or updates to this case, please reply to this email.

Well I have used the Exo-Terra hanging plants in an aquarium quite happily with the Axolotl that I used to keep. I have also used them with tropical and coldwater fish without any bad effects.

Granted I didn't ask the company first, I just used them but I had no issues whatsoever with any fish or amphibians

Well I have used the Exo-Terra hanging plants in an aquarium quite happily with the Axolotl that I used to keep. I have also used them with tropical and coldwater fish without any bad effects.

Granted I didn't ask the company first, I just used them but I had no issues whatsoever with any fish or amphibians

Whoa I've never seen an Axolotl before! Looks like a CGI kids movie character and it's smiling!

On the plants I hear you... I'm just Mr Safety so I wanted to be sure. I was really hoping to use them as a floating plant on top to provide some cover like the Abutilon and Ficus. Maybe I'll get one and put it in a test container and see how it does.

Thank you sir/ma'am!

The fish loved to play hide and seek in the hanging plants....silk ficus especially very popular with them. The were held by suction cups (they come with one cup per plant) and I placed them on each end of the aquarium to hang down from top to substrate like a curtain. The Axolotl used to climb into them to rest or play in the leaves. They were always fully emersed in the water and only needed a quick rinse once every month or two to make sure food etc was not stuck in them

Not the best photo of my lad but you can see the hanging ficus from Exo-Terra

150611207_3670211563065338_7591161791439305419_n.jpg

Very cool. How long did you have the ficus in the tank? No fading? Didn't fall apart?

I had 8 of them, 4 at each end of the 20g long. They lasted 5 years, no fading, no disintegration.

They are silk...make sure you go for the silk ficus...the stems are soft plastic (I always check for any rough bits and deal with them as required by using a nail file)

They were 12 inches long with about 10 inch spread so made for nice shading for the Axolotl and later for the fish after he had died (he was just under 3 years old when he died)

Maintenance wise, rinsed under running tap water and gentle rubbing tween fingers to get anything stubborn off. I only got rid of them cos I got rid of the aquarium - I wish now I had kept them cos I finally have a decent size 200 litre aquarium that they would look great in.

Found someone else who has used them in an aquarium....

Most reactions

Back