Everyone's Pet Hate About The Local Fish Shop!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Children dont always listen *hollow laugh*.... (a trait a great many adults have also)..... what IS frustrating in a fish shop or in a public aquarium is not the children who tap tank glass, get told not to, do it again and get removed...... its the ones who do it and are just ignored - frequently with parents who are off looking at something else anyway. Now I fail to see an excuse for that.

Sorry yeah if I hadn't been in rant mode and maybe qualified what I'd said we might have avoided quite a few of the previous posts :blush:

Small children - even nice ones with good parents - do not always listen to instructions. ( Neither do adults). Sometimes they exhibit behaviour which is less than desirable. If it is only mildly annoying, then you might just have to put up with it, if it is developmentally normal ( and sometimes even if it isn't) . Life is full of annoyances - put your big boy/girl pants on and deal with it.

However, tapping on fish tanks is not mildly annoying - it is harmful. If my 2 year old can't refrain from doing it, it is time to leave the shop right now, even if that means I don't get to buy my fishies today.

Pet peeve for me - when I know more about the shop's stock than do the people who work there. Definitely doesn't just apply to fish shops. Particularly when I ask about a specific product and then the employee picks up the item and looks at the packaging - Doh, if it said so there, I would flippin well read it myself :lol: And then, chances are, they jsut look at me blankly and ssay "Dunno" . And the way I put on my big girl pants and deal in this instance, is simply try and take my business elsewhere if I can :lol:

an an ex-lfs employee my biggest pet hate is/was
customers that 'know it all' and won't be 'educated'

oh another gripe...... fish like mollies only sold in m/f pairs... many's the time i've stood in the lfs rowing with the employee's over how they're gonna get shagged to death unless they sell them with more females :rolleyes:

an an ex-lfs employee my biggest pet hate is/was
customers that 'know it all' and won't be 'educated'

I can relate to that and was in my lfs today where an employee was being told ny a customer that koi and orfe will be fine in a 1ft deep by 3ft round pond

Ooooo I guess you told me! I should just go hide in the corner and suck my thumb b/c I said something that's just common sense! Not my fault your kids don't listen to you.

Yes yes.. I went there.... :lol:

Seriously though... whatever...

Another thing that really cheeses me off is when we're looking at the fish... an employee will come and ask if we need any help. We'll say no b/c we're still browsing and all of a sudden.. POOF.. no more employee around anywhere when you're ready to get the fish you want!
I swear it happens every single time we've gone to get fish.

I also can't stand the type that just want you to leave so will say yes to whatever question you ask.
We went to a place called Fishy Business. A fish shop that you would think would be a bit more helpful since that's what they specialize in... bf asked questions and all the guy did was give him generic "Sure" "Uh huh" answers... UGH.
I noticed you are in SC and you mentioned Fishy Business so you have to be in Columbia.
You must be referring to PetSmart about the comment about the disappearing store employees. (If you can, try to find the younger tall/thin lady, she seems very helpful/knowledgeable) . It happens to me every time as well. I wasn't too impressed with Fishy Business either. Have you tried Finz in Irmo? Their selection isn't great for freshwater, mostly just Cichlids and Rainbows. They are knowledgeable though. Pet Supply Warehouse off of Lake Murray Blvd is pretty good too. Other than dirty tank stands (the tanks themselves are clean, no dead fish, etc), they're pretty good.
-Darke

Yep... Petsmart and Superpets both.
So has Fishy Business actually.
We'll be looking at the plants figuring out which we want... comes over an employee, no we don't need help right now... off they go to never be seen again :p lol

I don't understand why you people hate Petsmart so much... I work there and I'm the most diligent staff member in petcare... all I do is help with fish :lol: the second I see one dead/dying I remove it, if it's dying I take it to be isolated and hopfully it'll be cured... Aswell, I don't know what Petsmart that Mollylver was at, but all Petsmarts within Ontario don't sell Pacus anymore, also, WHO IN THE HELL WOULD RECOMMEND A PACU FOR A GOLDFISH BOWL!? I don't believe that somebody actually did this, as Pacus read huge sizes... Also they told you 6 plecs ina 10gallon tank? My ass... only somebody who didn't work with fish and who never kept them would say that...

another thing that irritates me as a LFS employee is people that blame the company for the death of their fish, when they clearly said to begin with they had a larger tank than the 20gallon tank that this fish went into... I've refused to sell fish to many people because they say "Oh don't worry he's (the fish) going to a good, big home!" I ask how big it is... their reply? "Oh it's pretty big... somewhere around umm I don't know 26gallons? Meanwhile their trying to get a fish like an oscar... then they tell me they already have an oscar in the the tank, I'll tell them to rehome it, what do they say? "oh why rehome it? the tanks 126gallons" (or something larger than what they said it was originally...) This is a really pain because, firstly I hate people being stupid like that, and secondly... when you just told me the actual size of your tank, then try to lie about it and say you didn't... atleast have something to back it up with...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back